+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Visiting Idaho

Default Visiting Idaho

Dear Members of FAOL;
    I am going to be visiting the great state of Idaho for the first time.

I have read the articles about Spring Creek and Henry's Fork in the Great River section on this web site, and printed off the maps for each. The problem is I will only have one to two days to spend on each.
    Does any one have any advice that can help me narrow down which section of each river I should try to fly fish in the amount of time I have.

I will be wading, and have limited experance at that, No float tubes, no Boats, ect. If that helps narrow the search.

I will be fishing the Boise river from 8/23 to 8/27 to get experance in wading and fishing western rivers.Then on to Spring Creek 8/28 & 29 and finish off with Henry's Fork on 8/30 and 31.

PS; If any one has a favorite fly or nymph love to hear about that to.

Thank you in advance for any advice.
    Hope I don't spoil the fishing for everyone. After all the fish die laughing at this tourist from the Midwest.

Default Henry's Fork

Here is some information from what I have learned on the Henry's Fork. I recently moved west from Wisconsin, so I am getting used to fishing these types of rivers and streams and don't usually have much luck. But, this info may still be helpful. I have fished the Henry's Fork a couple of times downstream from Last Chance, ID. I also am just wading when I go fishing and don't usually wade deeper than mid thigh. I was able to get to some good holes wading like this. I didn't catch many fish nor big fish, but that is most likely due to my lack of skill. Other people around me were pulling out some nice fish, so there are definitely big fish in the river. I have had some luck with a Parachute Adams out there. It is a beautiful area, but has been fairly crowded during my trips. There are a number of fly shops in Last Chance that can give you some tips. There are a few National Forest campgrounds around as well as some unimproved campsites in the area, if you plan on camping.

Good luck on your trip.

Bucky; Thank you very much for the help.
    I was planning to head for fly shops, since I hadn't gotten much from the members on this web site.

There are countless areas you can fish on the Henrys Fork. it all just depends on what kind of water you are looking for. Last Chance area is good but not the easiest place to get into fish, they have outsmarted many an experienced angler. The Box Canyon area below the power plant is always a good bet and you can just about always count on a good caddis hatch in the evening. Coffee Pot area has some nice deep runs full of big trout, and as I found this summer, big suckers. If you are looking for more of a spring creek feel then just about anywhere above Macks Inn will suit you with slow water and lots of vegetation. There are also plenty of areas down off the hill near the Ashton area. Above Ashton bridge there are some good runs that are pretty easily accesible as well as farther South below Ashton you will find Vernon and Fun Farm bridges.If you check out some of the posts in the fishing reports forum under Dad and the Kid 2009 you can see what these areas are like and If you have any questions feel free to send me a pm. Hope this helps!
    Get Em!

Bunzo, didn't mean to ignore, sorry. I can't tell you anything about the Boise area, but what my son explained above regarding the Henry's Fork should be helpful. Several fly shops you should visit while in eastern Idaho would be Jimmy's All Season Angler in Idaho Falls, Rene' Harrop's Trouthunter in Island Park (Last Chance, right along the river), and Mike Lawson's Henry's Fork Anglers also in Last Chance right across the street from Harrop's place. Any more specific questions, PM myself or my son, mgliss, and we'll be happy to give you what info we can about the Henry's Fork, both upper and lower rivers.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

mgliss-
    is the box canyon part of the river easily accessible for wading, either by driving up to the stream or even hiking for a mile or so? For some reason I seem to remember reading that the box was better for floating. I think I may be heading up to the area this weekend and am looking for a new spot on the river to try.

Smile

Bucky, The main area i spend my time in the Box is directly below the power plant to the confluence with the Buffalo (1/4 mile at most). You can drive right to it by taking the turn off to Island Park Reservoir just after Ponds Lodge. Go all the way to the "T" in the road and take a left, go a few hundred yards and take your next left and the dirt road leads you right there. To me its an excellent wading area but I spend 99% of my time wading but I feel that its a pretty easy wade all around. You are right though when you say the box is best fished from a boat but there are still some nice fish to be had below the dam. I hope this helps!!!
    mgliss
    Get Em!

+ Reply to Thread