+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fly Tying Desk

Question Fly Tying Desk

I am curious if anyone here has constructed their own fly tying desk? If you have could you post pics and suggestions about what you would have done different or things you included that I should consider in building mine.
    Raiderhunter....Always In Search Of Water and Fish....

Cold Guest

Quote Originally Posted by raiderhunter View Post
    I am curious if anyone here has constructed their own fly tying desk? If you have could you post pics and suggestions about what you would have done different or things you included that I should consider in building mine.
    I didnt build one, but I moved my operation into a new spot, hermit-crab style.

My "desk" is actually a converted antique vanity table (where ladies go for the application of makeup and other arcane rituals of beautification). Its even still got the "tri-fold" style mirrors on it!

I emptied all the drawers (6) and filled them with all manner of things, with common themes (I have an everything drawer, a chenille & yarn drawer, fur, marabou, egg materials, and non-hackle feathers drawers). I covered the split top (two small surfaces with an opening in the middle) with a cut-to-fit piece of tabletop and cut a slot in the right position for my clap-style vise.

There's a gap in the front between the tabletop and the center mirror, and I positioned my wastebasket beneath this so I can just brush my scraps right into it.

This setup gives me plenty of surface area for a small drawer organizer (for hooks, beads, thread, etc.) as well as room to really spread out materials for 2-3 different patterns all at once.

What would I have done differently? Not a thing. The vanity belonged to my mom's grandparents, so it makes me feel good that it's still seeing some use without being damaged in any way (thanks to the tabletop).

What would I like to change? I'd have liked it if the drawers were deep enough to store hackle. As it is, I have them stacked on the little middle shelf (that the wastebasket sits on), but I'm going to have to get a sturdy plastic box for them this week, and I've got a puppy on the way Friday, and I'm sure a lab puppy would find a $40 saddle a delicious treat.

there's a right nice one built w/ a cutting board on the archives here somewhere.
    simple cheap and ergonomic. I don't have the patience to search for it. plus my search skills and this search engine are virtually incompatible.

There's a difference between a station and a desk.

yeah. you can tie anywhere w/ a station.

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by raiderhunter View Post
    I am curious if anyone here has constructed their own fly tying desk?
    which one are you talking about??

tying bench/ station

http://www.oasisbenches.com/oasis_benches.htm

fly tying desk

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0011296316301a.shtml

I built my desk out of cherry. I got a few ideas on line, and changed a few things. I needed something that looked nice since it's in my livingroom. You might want to look into a roll top desk in you want a desk and it has to look nice.

TB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here is the one I'm using.

I found it on Craig's List and bought it. The lady I bought it from was appalled that I was going to use it for tying flies. So I enjoyed buying it even more.
    Last edited by Lotech; 08-04-2009 at 12:34 AM.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

I use an old drafting table 4ft x 5ft I think,with an Oasis bench so I can sneak out of the basement when no body's home. The large area is good for storage boxes etc. I have added a couple of drawers to help with the never ending clutter. I would change nothing about my set up.
    sheldon

Quote Originally Posted by Lotech View Post

I found it on Craig's List and bought it. The lady I bought it from was appalled that I was going to use it for a tying flies. So I enjoyed buying it even more.
    Funny how people will want to sell something, then not let go of it. Why should she care? It isn't her's anymore.
    Sonny Edmonds

"If I don't teach them, how will those Grand Kids learn to fish?"
    Lesson 1: What catches fish Vs: What catches fisherman's money.

+ Reply to Thread