+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: homemade Tools?

Default homemade Tools?

I work in a fairly large industrial machine shop, and I've made tons of things in the past. I'm interested in making my own vise, not a true rotary or anything, just a simple vise. Has anyone here done this yet? If so, I'd like to see some pictures of your custom homemade stuff. It doesn't have to be a vise either, anything you've made yourself (flies not included) I just love to make things, and I'm interesed in the things that others make as well.

bwagner,

I will be doing what some do not like with this post, but, here goes...I have made some of my own small fly tying tools but nothing to the degree you are referring to so that means I have nothing to add to this thread except for an idea for you to think about: I have and use a "Ketchum N Release" tool and have managed to break 2 due to the way I have packed them in the truck. I think a person of your talents could machine one from aluminum and if you do, how much do you want?

------------------
    Warren
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Make me a nice fly rod stand would ya?.................Nah!!!, I'm kidding, I couldn't afford the postage, .

The only thing I have ever made is a fly tying station, just a little wooden gaget that holds alot of different things, painted white for the eyes, less strain.

Holds lots of different tools and there is even a magnet strip on a post on the left hand side behind the blue handled pliers.

I stick flies on this to let the heads dry when they need more than one coat, also sometimes leave my razor blades on 'em for a quick grab.

I suspect many people make these so it's nothing really new.
    [url=http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c196/IslandBrookTrout/tyingstation.jpg:96a3b]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c196/IslandBrookTrout/tyingstation.jpg[/url:96a3b]

later
    MIke

[This message has been edited by Newfoundlander (edited 15 December 2005).]

Newfoundlander,

I see Armorall in your photo... any thing to report on the flyline experiement yet?

No not yet, too early, the peice of Crystal River fly line is still in there though, .

We will see come April, , I may peak at it earlier, say march, , I'm gonna put this personal question to rest for my own sake, sometimes sanity requires we answer our own questions.

Will let you know..............

later
    Mike

bwagner;
    There was a tool for assisting getting beads on hooks on Ebay. I showed it to my toolshop neighbor and he made me one. I'll have to send you a photo as I don't know what tool was used to produce it.
    I have discussed making a Gallow's with him also. You could make one in a heart beat, another photo. Mine was made by a retired toolmaker, My rotary vice appears to be made of about 1" aluninum barstock (Rotary part). Another Photo.
    You should be able to turn some neat Bodkins of different sizes (Load a film canister with steel wool and use is as Bodkin cleaner.
    Also make half hitch tools
    Your oppertunities are endless. Being a retired tooling engineer I always look at things to see how they could be made better!!

Jack.........The bodkin thing might be interesting. I like turning aluminum, and they'd be as easy as pie! I think I'll start with the half hitch tools, and then go from there! Also, the gallows hanger would also be super easy. I'd love to make a simple click pawl reel, but maybe out of wood/brass for the old world feel. I've tohught about making my own reelseat, for when I tackle the rodbuilding experience, and using a design similar to the anglers roost beavertail. Opinions on this style??

never made a vise, but i tie my own thread (Right, Mike?)

[This message has been edited by D. Micus (edited 15 December 2005).]

Indeed you do D, hey whip me up some Olive 8/0, I'm runnin' low.

Ed Engelman has a homemade vise you can build that's about as cheap as you can get, in case you're interested. Links below.

[url=http://edengelman.com/FlyVise/FlyVise.html:f13c5]http://edengelman.com/FlyVise/FlyVise.html[/url:f13c5]

[url=http://edengelman.com/MoreVises/MoreVises.html:f13c5]http://edengelman.com/MoreVises/MoreVises.html[/url:f13c5]

He has other homemade tools and stuff on his site also.

------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"

[This message has been edited by dixieangler (edited 15 December 2005).]
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

+ Reply to Thread