+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I don't "hafta" anymore

Default I don't "hafta" anymore

After 3:30 pm this coming Friday, I will no longer "hafta" do anything. I am entering the new and somewhat scary world of retirement. I won't hafta get up at a certain time, I won't hafta go to work, and I won't hafta kiss specific anatomical parts of management behinds. Next Monday I am going to get up, have my coffee, take a shower and get dressed for work - I will then go to the back door, laugh hysterically, turn around, go upstairs, take off my clothes and go back to bed. Why? Because I can.....

The most important aspect is, of course, unlimited fishing time. We have a bike path here in C-bus that runs by a river and I'm thinking of doing a journal about the fishing spots along the way. On top of which, if things work out, I may end up with a parttime job at my local fly shop. I may have already died and gone to the good place.

I work with people in poverty and with this economy, we are adding to that population very quickly. I am so fortunate. As Mr. Gehrig said, "Today, I feel like the luckiest man on the face of the Earth."
    To Miss Nancy - She hated fishing, but loved a fisherman.

Congrats! Can't wait for my turn...

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

I will NOT put a damper on your well found enthusiasm. I'll just pass on this little bit of history.

Eleven years ago, when Cary retired, he was in charge of the wellness and safety of the non member banks nationwide ... all of them. He worked in a fine office in Washington, DC, right across the street from the Executive Office Building. He spent many hours on the "Hill", and rubbing shoulders with "important"people.

Overnight he went to having to deal with ME; the hill was a high spot in the sidewalk; and his decision making went from banks safety to when was he going to take out the garbage. It was not pretty.

Fortunately, that's when we found fly fishing. It saved his life, and saved me from a prison life!

It took a few months, but calm returned to our household, and we've never looked back. EVER!

I will only wish you wonderful things in retirement. Enjoy it completely.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Congrats! Hope to see you in the shop one day or meet you out on the water somewhere.

Some day baby...some day...LOL Congratulations!!!
    "They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." - John Gierach

Normand Guest

i wish i didnt "hafta" read this thread cuz i still have a few years to go before i can say i dont "hafta"

Quote Originally Posted by Normand View Post
    i wish i didnt "hafta" read this thread cuz i still have a few years to go before i can say i dont "hafta"
    Normand, I feel your pain... this waiting thing is a killer!

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

[QUOTE=Betty Hiner;309058]I will NOT put a damper on your well found enthusiasm. I'll just pass on this little bit of history.

Overnight he went to having to deal with ME; the hill was a high spot in the sidewalk; and his decision making went from banks safety to when was he going to take out the garbage. It was not pretty.

That was great.
    That sounds like weekends at my house, and I'm not retired.
    LMAO

H

raw69 -

Well, you are entering your own world of the unknown.

How about a couple thoughts from someone who has practiced retirement for about fifteen years.

I quit my long term and relatively successful career with a national company at age 51. Thought I would take a month or two off, then go get another job. After a month, I got to thinking that I had never really had any time to myself. Decided to take a year off. That turned into two years, three years .... and then I never looked back. I was fortunate to discover that the things I really liked doing - all involving being active outdoors - cost very little, which was a good thing because I was on a VERY limited income.

So, for the thoughts. First, it would likely be a mistake to treat this as a vacation. It is not. It is a LIFESTYLE. I've known several people who retired early, or just plain retired, and couldn't handle it because they weren't up to "vacation" day after day after day, and they couldn't afford it, anyway.

Second, now you will know what it is like to make DECISIONS. Regular employment takes away virtually all your decision making on a day to day basis. Take away the employment, and if you not are prepared to get up every morning and make decisions or work through the decisions you made yesterday, you will be totally lost.

Third, most of us think we are CREATIVE. You are entering into the ultimate test of your own creativity. If you can't make up each day as it happens, create it and live it out joyfully, you have lost in the bargain. And even if you think you aren't creative, you have a grand opportunity to challenge that notion and prove something very valuable.

Finally, the ability to live out retirement hinges largely on how well you like yourself and how good you are at spending time with yourself. Because no matter how many friends you have, and how much time you might spend with them, you are really now on your own. That is not meant to be scary, although some might find it so. Again, it can be an opportunity to explore things you've never seriously considered, to fail at things you never tried before, and to succeed at even more things as you find your way.

All this may or may not fit you comfortably, but take it for what it is worth from someone who regularly tells people that they are talking to one of the most fortunate persons on earth.

Best of luck in your new adventure. Carry the banner high, and wish all well on your travels.

Godspeed.

John
    The fish are always right.

Congratulations!!!

However you are in for one rude awaking - You now cannot look forward to your next day off (lol).

Tim - Retired since 1981

+ Reply to Thread