+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Maine Vacation

Default Maine Vacation

Hello everyone,

We have a ten day camping trip scheduled for mid August and will be splitting our time between the Bar Harbor and Portland areas.

Having never set foot in Maine prior to this trip, I am trying to determine if there are any fly fishing opportunites close by these areas. I've done a search on this and other websites for Maine fishing but the problem I'm having is not being familiar with the area I have no point of reference for the lakes, streams, etc. that are mentioned.

This is primarily a family type vacation so the ideal situation would be wadable water within 30 minutes or so of the above areas for a few hours of morning fishing before the rest of the tribe wakes up and gets moving. Not looking for anyone's honey holes just a place to enjoy a few hours of solitude.

Any advice is welcome. Feel free to private message if you prefer.

Thanks in advance.

Default RE. Maine Vacation

I have a place in the Sebago Lake area, which is about 30 miles west of Portland.
    There are two rivers which are stocked regularly, within easy reach of Portland.
    The first is the Presumpscott R. , which empties out of the southern end of Sebago.It can be reached via RT 302W from Portland to RT 35S in Windham.
    The 2nd is the Pleasant R.which is also in Windham and crosses the above mentioned RT 302, immediately after a round-a-bout (Traffic Circle).
    Presently both rivers are running quite high, but both are worth looking at during your vacation.
    Tight lines.
    Jack Rabbit

Normand Guest

you might want to post your question here but dont expect to be told about any honey holes

http://www.maineflyfish.com/forum/default.asp

Smile

Rangerman, rw here

I lived by Sebago Lake in the town of Raymond for 15 years before recently moving to upstate New York. Without adding any driving distance to your request, I would totally agree with what Jack Rabbit said. However, I would add that things are pretty slow on the Presumpscot in August. With all the rain they've had in Maine the Pleasant might be productive. The Crooked River, which empties into Sebago, is another productive river, especially the farther north you go from the big lake and from where the river runs under Route 302. I would also add that the lake fishing in Cumberland County is much more productive in the Sebago Region than the stream fishing.

rw
    "The value of trout is simply that they exist" <Frank Weisbarth>

Default Portland area

I am not an authority on the Portland area, but this late in the season I would look to fishing the salt. The stripers are in and you might run into a few blues.

David

+ Reply to Thread