+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: General Small-Mid Size Stream Rod

Question General Small-Mid Size Stream Rod

Hi-

Would a 7'6" 4-wt. rod be a decent mid sized trout stream rod? Pros? Cons?

-S

Default Sounds about right

I use a 7'11" 3wt. The cons for me are casting heavy flies like weighted buggers and just because the stream is small doesn't mean the fish is. I hung a stream born bow on it a couple of months ago in a very small creek that was 24" if it was 1" I couldn't turn him at all. I have caught 20"ers but not stream born ones. The pro is that it makes dry fly fishing easier and makes you more nimble. My dad uses a 7'6" 4wt (Cabela's Stowaway) almost exclusively and loves it.

Cold Guest

I'd consider that to be a pretty good rod for the task, depending on what you consider "small-mid", in an action that suits your casting style, of course. Some may prefer longer or shorter lengths, depending on their style and the tactics necessary on their given streams, but 7'-6" is a good all-purpose short rod length, and 4 wt should best reflect the weight required to throw the target variety of fly sizes you'd want to use in a small stream setting.

You should be fine for most all your trout waters with a 7 1/2' 4wt.

My favorite Small stream rod is a 7' 3wt built on a Firecane glass blank. It handles most anything I hook and will even cast a #10 Stimulator pretty nicely if need be. Weighted nymphs and streamers are a different story however.

Try a 7'9" 5 weight. Great size for small to mid sized streams. Mine is a Orvis clearwater, great rod. I think TFO makes one too, not sure though.

Moving right up there to the top of my favorite list ... a 605-2 Diamond Glass rod that I built last fall. Used it EXCLUSIVELY in the Snowy Range, everyday, for the past two weeks. Had bamboos with me, but fished the glass. Handled big fish and little fish; small flies and moderate flies; all very, very well. Streams were small to medium, light waters to deep roaring holes, awesome!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

My own preference for any conditions where the size of the flies, the amount of wind, and the required length of casts permit, is a 7'6" for 3 wt. The one I am using currently is a Winston Ibis. Thinking about going with a different maker / type of rod in the near future, but in the same length and line weight.

The pros are that this length and weight rod ( your 7'6" for 4 wt ) will handle just about any fly you want to use, including some fair sized weighted nymphs, probably up to size 6 4X long, and good sized dry flies, up to size 8 2X long stoneflies and hoppers, for example, on mid size rivers, and should cast reasonably well in a breeze, if not a gale.

The 7'6" for 4 wt should easily handle any fish you catch in a mid size river. And if you can't handle the "big one" you'll still be happy that you hooked him and you'll still have a great memory from the experience. I've landed 18" plus trouts in fast water on my 3 wt without feeling that I was stressing the rod.

The shorter / lighter rods are easier to fish over the course of a long day on the water. When I step up to my 5 wt, the difference is very noticeable. Doesn't stop me from fishing it, just is a bit more tiring after hours on the water.

The shorter rods are easier to transport, and easier to handle around close quarters.

The cons are that bigger flies and tandems of weighted nymphs, stronger winds, and longer casting distances don't mix well with the shorter / lighter rods. Some of the really good casters can do with a 3 or 4 wt what a lot of us might prefer a 5 or 6 wt for, but those guys are the exceptions.

John
    The fish are always right.

My small-stream rig is a 7'6" 4wt also. Short enough to get around in the rhododendron and still cast well.
    I also like a soft action rod for small streams. Bow-n-arrow casts, etc are the norm on several small streams I fish. A medium action rod (or softer) is also a must for me too on these streams.
    My small stream rod is a 476-2 Sage DS2. Perfect rod for the application!
    Mark 1:17

My go to rod for small to medium rivers is an 8 1/2' 5 wt. It easily handles most of the flies I want to throw and is long enough to reach, mend and roll cast in tight quarters.

I have a short 6'9" 4 wt. and it is much more difficult for me to handle in tight situations.

Rick

Cold Guest

Moving right up there to the top of my favorite list ... a 605-2 Diamond Glass rod that I built last fall.
    Funny you should mention that...I'm thinking about getting a 7' 4 wt diamondglass.

+ Reply to Thread