+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WF3F Vs. DT3F

Default WF3F Vs. DT3F

Here's another topic up for discussion. I'm about to purchase a new Rio "Selective Trout", and or "Rio Grande" line for my new three wt I have coming. What are the pros and cons of the DT lines versus the WF lines. One major plus for the DT to me is that I can cut it in half and get two lines. My new rod is only 5'6", so half a line is all that would be needed, also need good ideas on nice(maybe not too nice though) SMALL click pawl reels. Something light and nice. Any ideas? Discuss the line thing too, what do you think?

I like the idea of cutting a DT in half for your purpose, and I know many who have done exactly that with their silk lines.

As far as the differences between DT and WT, you should check this out: [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begin/101/dtvswf.html:5095f]http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begin/101/dtvswf.html[/url:5095f]

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

JC makes a hella point there !
    Nothing more annoying than stripping out a telephone cord and trying to make a cast!

[This message has been edited by billknepp (edited 15 December 2005).]
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

rather than cutting the dt line in half you can reverse it when necessary.

that said I prefer casting a wf line. just feels and performs better for me.

mgj

DT man here. I can see no use for a WF line on any rod below a 6 wgt rod. I can carry more line in the air and present better to rising fish. I do not have to shoot a cast that is over the 30 foot or so mark. And I get two lines for the price of one. I am not a cheap person at all but I just like the DT and how they fish. I should admit that I fish a lot of spring creeks and tailwater type of waters. But I also fish big rivers with them to such as the Yellowstone. My home river.

I use old Hardys, Fly Weight and LRH's for most of my smaller line fishing. I have several and have yet to run out of line on a fish. And I have taken several fish over 6 pounds on those small Hardys with DT lines on them to. Ron

JC you should have given me a call when you had those fish at a distance. I would have brought my float tube and paddled you out to them.

[This message has been edited by RonMT (edited 15 December 2005).]

bwagner:

Just a bit of advice:

The Rio Grand and Selective Trout are two totally different critters. I don't know anything about the rod you chose but the Rio Grand is a slightly heavier than normal line best suited for faster rods. A 3wt is more like a 3-1/2 weight.

The Selective Trout is a hybrid taper that probably works best on medium fast rods although I use one on a S-L-O-W Winston Retro. It is a really nice line.

That being said I use the Rio Classic DT's on 99% of my rods. I am a recent convert to DT's and I can't believe it took me this long to fall in love.

Dear bwagner,

I'm going to open a whole new can of worms so please forgive me.

I've been checking the profiles of flylines for the past couple of days and when I look at the first 30 feet of a flyline I don't see much difference between a DT and a WF.

The flyline is rated according to the weight of the first 30 feet on the AFTMA scale. To me WF's and DT's have pretty much the same profile, 1' of tip, 6 to 8' of taper and 20 some feet of head until the running line.

What's the difference?

I know I like DT's from 5 weight on down, but honestly the first 30 feet of each line is the same.

Add in a 9 or 10 foot leader and you have a respectable cast in most trout fishing situations.

Again, what is the difference?

Regards,
    Tim Murphy

Tim, I posted this link on this same string earlier, you must have missed it. This is a question which is asked often - and debated, so I called the real expert, Bruce Richards at Scientific Anglers and he wrote this for us:
    [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begin/101/dtvswf.html:0c659]http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begin/101/dtvswf.html[/url:0c659]

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

Tim,
    You are so correct here and you didn't open up a can of worms at all.

As LF's post said, basically that first 50 ft is a wash when comparing the two line styles. It took me awhile before I really accepted this.

What helped the last season or two was the help by a freind or two who are really good fishermen. and the biggest thing I learned on fishing our spring creeks is the actual distance you really "need" to carefully present a fly to trout.

This distance was much less than I was fishing at. This help took out many troubles in my presentation. Wow, what an eye opener.

One statement made bya good friend of late was "...there's so much B.S. in fly fishing!" Basically he meant to keep things simple! It just needn't be so complicated.

And this fly line thing can get one in knots.

Thanks for the reminder on this article L.F.!

Jeremy.

I don't know what the Selective Trout taper is like but if it is simular to other long thin front tapered lines as made by other manufacturers I find them almost to light in the first 6-10' or so to load a rod on short casts. If that is your purpose with your new rod I would choose a line of regular taper.

[This message has been edited by Buzz (edited 16 December 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread