+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Night Fishing!!!

Default Night Fishing!!!

i am hoping for some ideas here and would appreciate any feedback. I will be camping near my favorite spring creek this weekend and have always wanted to fish it at night. I know browns are nocturnal for the most part and am really hoping this big boys will come out. Are streamers my best bet? Will a headlamp put the fish down? Mice? If anyone has had any experience that could help I would appreciate it. Of course If everything goes well I will be sure to have pics and a full report! Thanks in advance!
    Get Em!

The only reply I have to this is: "TAKE YOUR DAD!!!"

Love, Dad
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

use a mousey.

Blog Entries

Default !!!

wear wading belt!

BE CAREFUL! And I think I remember seeing Joe Humphreys on a video somewhere, looking for a 20 lb. brown, at night, and I seem to recall they were using red lights, just like you'd use in a photo lab.

SW PA, just north os Pittsburgh, near the Ohio and Beaver river intersect.

Default Not to be a downer but...

Correct me if I am wrong but don't trout see in the red spectrum of light?? I would go with green, its brighter at night and doesn't kill your night vision, learned that from using Night Vision Goggels in Iraq. You can buy lights that mount on your ball cap that have green LED's from Wal Mart for 10 bucks.

Years back I night fished for big browns a couple of times a week. First off know the section of the stream you are fishing very well. I looked for slower deep pools that are easy to wade with a good rapids at the top. I believed the best fishing came when you could only see in black and white and then when it got to the point it was dark. If the moon is out look for the fish in the shadows tight against a high bank. I never used lights except a pen light to get the fish off the hook and even then I would turn 180 degrees from the area I was fishing. Big fish are spooky so wade quietly as possible. I fished with big wet flies 2, 4, 3X. It's a great fishing experience but you must know the water. Many nights were great and then there we times when it was slow. If I did it now I think I'd go with clousers or weighted wooly buggers. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by mgliss View Post
    i am hoping for some ideas here and would appreciate any feedback. I will be camping near my favorite spring creek this weekend and have always wanted to fish it at night. I know browns are nocturnal for the most part and am really hoping this big boys will come out. Are streamers my best bet? Will a headlamp put the fish down? Mice? If anyone has had any experience that could help I would appreciate it. Of course If everything goes well I will be sure to have pics and a full report! Thanks in advance!
    Sounds like you've got a pretty good start.

Streamers (red and purple work well at night). Keep the light off. Mice are always good.

Default Thanks guys...

I was able to get out Friday night for about three hours. Lets just say it was both dissapointing and fulfilling. Ill have a better report in the Dad and the Kid 2009 fishing reports. Thanks a lot for your suggestions.
    Get Em!

Quote Originally Posted by Sc0ttad View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong but don't trout see in the red spectrum of light?? I would go with green, its brighter at night and doesn't kill your night vision, learned that from using Night Vision Goggels in Iraq. You can buy lights that mount on your ball cap that have green LED's from Wal Mart for 10 bucks.
    The reason to use red is that it preserves human night vision. So if you want your rods (night vison) to function after you turn that light off, use red and not green.

I need to see when I fish at night. I turn my back to the area I am fishing to block the red light from the fish. Fish see both red and green. Remember (Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Glue, Indigo, Violet) ROY G BIV from physics? Green lies between the Red and Violet spectrum so if they see red, they can see green. Green is exactly in the middle of the visual spectrum and I think that is why our eyes are so sensitive to green. Red and violet are at the ends of the visible spectrum and our eyes are not as sensitive to red.

However green kills disables the rod, which we use to see at night. Red does not. It is a myth that green preserves "night vision". :

"Rhodopsin in the human rods is less sensitive to the longer red wavelengths of light, so many people use red light to help preserve night vision as it only slowly depletes the eye's rhodopsin stores in the rods and instead is viewed by the cones."

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...n/rodcone.html

http://stlplaces.com/night_vision_red_myth/

"As a 24 year veteran of the USMC, we were always taught that red was used for seeing at night for the following reasons:

Since red is a "dimmer" light, your pupils don't constrict nearly as much when you are viewing things in red light. Hence, when the red light is turned off, your pupils are still opened wider requiring less time for your eyes to readjust to total darkness. Also, it's harder for those that you don't want to detect your light to see red light.

The "display" color (green) of Light Amplification devices or night vision goggles has nothing to do with retention of night vision. Devices such as this have green displays because since the eyes are so sensitive to the color green it's far easier to pick out details on a green display than it is any other color. This is important because the displays on most night vision devices are extremely "grainy", and the green color helps to keep details that would be lost with other color displays. The down side to a green display is that since your eyes ARE so sensitive to the color green, when the night vision devices are taken off it takes considerably longer for your eyes to readjust to total darkness than with red light. Green light makes your pupils constrict further since your eyes are so sensitive to this color.

For viewing things in the dark with minimal effect on your night vision, red is by far the best color. When wearing night vision devices, retention of regular night vision is of minimal importance because that's what the night vision goggles are for in the first place! But to just plain see in the dark without losing your night vision red is STILL the color.

PJD

...simple exercise: view something in the dark with a red light, turn the light off and see how long it takes for your eyes to readjust to total darkness. Now, view something in the dark with night vision goggles, take them off and see how long it takes your eyes to readjust to total darkness. With the NVG's it will take your eyes more than twice as long to readjust to total darkness than it did with the red light...I know; I've done it MANY times."

And

"People think green is good for night vision due to their experiences with night vision equipment. This has resulted in the modern myth that green light preserves your natural night vision. This is not true and has resulted in a great deal of non-research based marketing by people trying to sell green LED lights."

From the best discussion on night vison that I have found.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ad.php?t=18915

Use RED not GREEN!
    Last edited by Silver Creek; 07-28-2009 at 03:06 PM.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

+ Reply to Thread