+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hooks

Cool Hooks

Alright I figure I am about to start a never ending discussion, but here it goes...I have seen all the different hook makers is there any one brand that is better or is it like the debate between Ford or Chevy? My other question is when tying do you follow the recipe exactly down to the hook or do you make your own substitutions?

Remember I'm a beginner and a newbie so go easy on your responses.
    Raiderhunter....Always In Search Of Water and Fish....

I use whatever hook I like. However, tht has not prevented me from having twenty types and sizes. I suppose some fly recipes are for a reason but I'll tie with whatever I have.

I use whatever hooks I can get for cheep and haven?t found much difference if I sharpen them after I tie on them. Mostly I use Dai-Riki hooks they are cheaper then some and hold up to the fish. I don?t think I have tied a fly exactly to its pattern this year. Substitutions work fine and sometimes catch a fish the original pattern will not.

I like Dai Riki hooks. Quality is good and they're relatively inexpensive (I can almost always get deals for them on Ebay). I used Mustads for years and had no problems with them either. Tiemco and Daiichi make great hooks but I can't justify buying them at twice the price of the Dai Rikis; I haven't noticed much difference in quality between them, but then again I'm not constantly catching 24" trout on #22 hooks. As for substitution, if the recipe calls for a Tiemco 100, I'll use what I have, either a Dai Riki 320 or Mustad 94840.

Regards,
    Scott

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by James-FS View Post
    I use whatever hooks I can get for cheep and haven?t found much difference if I sharpen them after I tie on them. Mostly I use Dai-Riki hooks they are cheaper then some and hold up to the fish. I don?t think I have tied a fly exactly to its pattern this year. Substitutions work fine and sometimes catch a fish the original pattern will not.
    James when was the last time you bought a hook????? I must of missed your wallet out at the fly shop. If you didn't tie half my flies and tie much better than I do, I would cut you off.

I agree though that I buy what ever I can get inexpensively, Mustad or Dairiki work well, the Cabela's hooks I bought a few weeks ago are of excellent quality. Raiderhunter, Buy good quality name brand hooks, when you get better you may develop a preference, but right now buy for price.

Eric
    Last edited by Eric-WD; 07-23-2009 at 03:59 AM.
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Smile

After 80 years of tying I still wind up always using Mustad. Usually I can get by with four sizes 6 and 8 in model 9672 and 10 and 12s in 94840. Kids tying use up hundreds. Some time Ill get samples at a show that Ill try. Never follow a recipe. I have my own,tie what I have found works in the color I like. BILL

i use tmc, Daichi, on most flies other than for bass... for those i use mustad c52s bln stinger hooks... i like the tmc because i can get those in a very thin wire for dries...
    A.S.F 5th GP ...TO FIGHT SO OTHERS MAY REMAIN FREE...

Normand Guest

for a newbie, i'd recommend buying cabelas hooks (they are made in the same asian factory as the major brands). take a look at targus, togen, saber, eagle claw, the fly shop etc etc etc brands of hooks also.

as far as subtituting one hook for another, thats perfectly acceptable except when it comes to dry flies. you want the light wire hooks for dry flies.

and dont forget hook charts! heres a few, but remember these are older charts and do not cover the latest and greatest hook brands

http://www.killroys.com/hooks/hookchrt.htm

http://www.landbigfish.com/flyfishing/hookcharts.cfm

http://www.hookhack.com/hookconvchart.html

http://www.buckeyeflyfishers.com/Art...f/hooktiem.htm
    Last edited by Normand; 07-23-2009 at 10:12 AM.

I use any hook brand available in the size I need. I have never lost a fish due to a hook from any company failing. My tippet breaks way before the hook fails.

Cold Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
    I like Dai Riki hooks. Quality is good and they're relatively inexpensive (I can almost always get deals for them on Ebay). I used Mustads for years and had no problems with them either. Tiemco and Daiichi make great hooks but I can't justify buying them at twice the price of the Dai Rikis; I haven't noticed much difference in quality between them, but then again I'm not constantly catching 24" trout on #22 hooks. As for substitution, if the recipe calls for a Tiemco 100, I'll use what I have, either a Dai Riki 320 or Mustad 94840.

Regards,
    Scott
    Pretty much exactly what he said.

...except that bit about catching 24" trout.

Really, I have just a few hooks that I seem to really burn through:

#14 2X Fine dry hooks
    #8 4X long streamer hooks
    #14 2X heavy, scud/caddis hooks

Of course, these arent the only hooks I use, but the first one I like because it produces a nice looking dry fly, even with my inexperience, and I feel the 2X fine wire both helps with hook penetration and gives me a little more "wiggle room" when I mess up and need to apply a few more thread wraps.

The second one gets used up because that's my bugger and small marabou streamer hook, both of which I use alot. I keep a small stockpile of black, white, and olive buggers, and like to experiment with others from time to time.

The third one sees probably the most use, as I use it for a variety of nymphs (if I can tie a pattern on a curved shank, I usually like to try it, I think the curve helps show the fish something that doesn't look just like the straight nymph patterns they see alot of). Also, I use these as egg hooks for Erie steelhead, and though I dont catch too many, I go through egg patterns at an alarming rate up there, so I tend to tie plenty of my hot colors to ensure I dont run out streamside.

Of course I have other, more specialized hooks: kink shanks for poppers, standard nymph/wet fly hooks, hopper hooks, and a range of sizes in the three I mentioned specifically, but those three get the most use.

Also, just this last batch, I switched from a standard streamer hook to the Mustad salmon hooks (basically, the salmon style bend and eye design, and the hook is black) and I like the change. The one thing I dont care for with Dai-riki hooks is the bright shiny finish. I'm sure it helps them last, but if I want flash in a pattern, I'll add it. With eggs & dries its not really a big deal, but for nymphs and buggers, I like a duller bronze or black finish. Also, the eye design pretty much eliminates any possibility of a burr on the end of the wire severing my tippet, and the flies as a whole just look much more professional, IMHO. As long as I can find them for about $6 per 50, I'll stick with them.

+ Reply to Thread