+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Top 5 fly patterns a beginner should learn

Default Flies for beginners

I would stay away from certain flies for beginners, starting with either the Adams or Parachute Adams. I just think that two hackles are much too difficult to deal with when you are struggling with one. They used to always start beginners with the Adams and I never understood it.

These days a lot of classes start with the Wooly Bugger and guess that's OK. I might start even more simply than that, maybe just a fly with palmered hackle like the old bivisibles or the British Soldier Palmer. Someone said Griffith's Gnat, even better. Then the Bugger, once you could wind hackle.

Everyone forgets that a real beginner has trouble winding thread around the hook reliably. I just don't think you can throw too much at someone right away. Some of the flies mentioned incorporate too many skills in one fly. I like Al Campbell's approach in his beginner series. He starts with a nymph that is basically pheasant tail wound around a hook (not the real Pheasant Tail Nymph that's more complicated) . I myself was thinking of an old English dry fly I used to fish that had a tail made of some pheasant tail fibers, the butts wound around the hook, and a brown hackle collar at the front. It was called the Pheasant Tail curiously enough, and is, I think, a good beginner fly. I caught a fish on it too.

Sit down with someone who has never tied a fly in their life, and you'll see what I'm getting at. Once they get some basics though, the sky's the limit.

Eric
    Last edited by eaustin; 07-21-2009 at 02:07 AM.

Blog Entries

1. Woolly Worm/bugger
    2. Royal Coachman
    3. Pheasant Tail
    4. Adams
    5. Parachute Adams

Glad I could help!
    If your not losing gear you ain't fishin'!!!
    James "Wheatman" Ryncarz

I would agree with Normand, and stick with technique flies to begin with. My top 5 for beginners are:

Griffiths Gnat (not too small)
    Elk Hair Caddis
    Hairs Ear
    CDC emerger
    Catskill Style Dry

Hi Eric,

Good points. I started with pheasant tails, then gold ribbed hare's ears. I tied a bunch of each and quite a few other nymphs before ever trying a dry.

For dries, I think the elk hair caddis, is a good starter dry. Easy to tie, a good floater, and an effective fly. Like you, I think that the parachute adams and the adams are both not very good choices for a beginner.

Regards,

Gandolf

Normand Guest

good points eric

my first fly was called a "string thing". it was simply thread wrapped up and down the shank.

Quote Originally Posted by crazy4oldcars View Post

Just as an aside, I only fish warm water down here in SE Texas. These are more intended for panfish and small bass than for trout.

Kirk
    Now wait a minute there, Son...
    There ain't nothin BUT warm water down in Texas!

Especially in summertime.
    Sonny Edmonds

"If I don't teach them, how will those Grand Kids learn to fish?"
    Lesson 1: What catches fish Vs: What catches fisherman's money.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Five Flies Necessary to Catch Fish:
    1) Wooly Bugger
    2) Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear
    3) Elk-hair caddis
    4) Parachute Adams
    5) Beetle

Five Flies to tie to be a better tier

1) Wooly Bugger
    2) GRHE
    3) Elk Hair Caddis
    4) Catskill-style May Fly Dun
    5) Parachute Style May Fly Dun

Steven, excellent answer!

Ed

Cold Guest

I would stay away from certain flies for beginners, starting with either the Adams or Parachute Adams. I just think that two hackles are much too difficult to deal with when you are struggling with one. They used to always start beginners with the Adams and I never understood it.
    Good point, though I must confess that I only tie in the grizzly on my para-adams. It's a good deal of an increase in the time per fly, and the pain in the rear factor to use 2, and the fish couldn't care less...at least...the ones I fish for.

On the catskill tie, though, I do use both.

I am going to dissagree with almost everyone here and go back to my origional answer. Learn to tie the flies you fish the most. The problem I see with leartning "simpler" patterns is that many people never progress to other patterns. I have talked to tyers who have been tying a lot for over a year who still think that an adams is too complicated for them. It may require learning more techniques quickly but it is still just a matter of applying some standard methods with maybe a unique twist here and there to tie just about any trout fly. Raiderhunter , what are the five flies you fish the most? If you list them we may be able to suggest an order to learn them in to let you master the fewest new techiques at a time When you have mastered them you should be confident you can tie any fly, not just very simple ones.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Edmonds View Post
    Now wait a minute there, Son...
    There ain't nothin BUT warm water down in Texas!

Especially in summertime.
    In August, we catch our fish already cooked!

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

Kirk

+ Reply to Thread