+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anti-pruning crusade!

Wink Anti-pruning crusade!

I would prefer not to be pruned. Perhaps I don't contribute in the proper manner. I know there are users who do read the boards and visit the chat room, but don't post. I think they make up for some who post twenty times a day.

I don't think anyone has mentioned pruning the membership lists based on usage or anything else. There are lots of folks that have been members for a long time and post very little. They are as welcome as a motor mouth like me.
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Blog Entries

Default ummm??? what???

Lets recap shall we?

I will be pruning users that have been a member for more than a HALF YEAR and have NEVER posted.

NO ONE ELSE will be deleted. ONE POST EVER.... Is all you need. Checking your post count > 0 twice a year is all I'm requiring here.

Frankly, If you NEVER post, and only read the BB, chat, and read the web site - asking you to check your post count > 0 once every 6 months is not asking much. If you are not willing to do that WHY ON EARTH should you keep the benefits of membership (aka able to chat, see who our members are, send private messages to users, or be in the drawing).

This targets OLD never used accounts. Like I said, EVEN 1 single post listed in the mini stats is enough to keep you in good standings.

This one I won't bend on. Hence the sticky thread was closed on submission, it was a NOTIFICATION, (probably should be in the other section, but I wanted to be sure EVERYONE saw it.) I'm actually going out of my way to be cordial on this one. I should just do it and carry on. It's just not the way I operate.

Again, if you have been a member for > 6 months, and have NEVER posted, then either post once, or sign up again. This one I claim administrator rights to. The board runs better without dead accounts, and our advertisers deserve realistic numbers when we talk about membership numbers. Sorry, but that's the way this one has to be.

--Ron--

Ron,

I understand and support your position on this. It only makes sense since I feel there could be some that joined only to be sure that they are in the monthly drawings and that just is not fair to those who are active members on this site. It has always bothered me when a member refuses to put any information in the "About Me" section. I understand not putting personal info in, but, at least give something so others may know where you are from, your interests and other general information.

Yours is a tuff position, but, you must do what you must for this site to continue to grow in the right direction...
    Last edited by WarrenP; 07-19-2009 at 12:08 PM.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Normand Guest

i dont know why pruning out the never posting members took so long. should have been done on a monthly basis. i dont get it. you registered but never posted.

the deleted members from the registry can always come to the site and be in the "read only" mode anyway
    Last edited by Normand; 07-19-2009 at 12:54 PM.

Thumbs up

What WarrenP and Normand said...

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Thumbs up Got to agree with Ron and Normand on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Normand View Post
    i dont know why pruning out the never posting members took so long. should have been done on a monthly basis. i dont get it. you registered but never posted.

the deleted members from the registry can always come to the site and be in the "read only" mode anyway
    I don't see the point in keeping people on the active list who have never even posted a "Hello" message to the other members. These inactive individuals are always welcome to come back and read all the site material. If something really gets there dander up and they want to reply----just reregister. Seems simple to me but I'm sure others will disagree. 8T

What bothers me is that the never posters are just takers. Not givers. You know they have valuable information to share but they do not give it out. They just TAKE from the board and give NOTHING back....probably don't contribute annually like I do.....just take from a free board and contribute NOTHING to the benefit of anyone.

AND there are those that ONLY SELL on the board and never comment on any subject to give a different light on something that they experienced.

I agree they should all be eliminated...INCLUDING those that only post on the for sale board and nowhere else. Give the sponsors a break while you are at it.

As mentioned earlier...this does not stop them from continuing to read on the website and that is all they are doing anyway.

I don't care about the drawing. But keeping it simple is good. I like the idea of spring cleaning on the site. I wish I had the ability to DELETE some of my posts and or threads that are either wrong....or past their prime and no longer mean anything to anyone. Like a current sale going on. A month from now that sale is over. But the info stays on here forever. "I" used to go in and delete my worthless posts but no longer have the clearance to do that. So I cannot do my spring cleaning for you. Wish I could.

Blog Entries

Default Never posters

Let's not forget though that some never posters could be newbies that are shy.
    Or military personnel that found the site and got shipped out before getting involved.

Silent readers are a good thing. Remember our charter here is to promote the sport, not make an individual get up and be the center of attention.

But I have no way to tell the difference between a wall flower that wants to be a silent member of the community, a dead account, or someone that registered and went away in the hopes that some day they might win a prize in absentia. Ergo I have a balancing act to perform, and toes will get stepped on. I only hope to minimize the pain.

We should welcome newbies to your sport, and go out of our way to support those that can't actively participate. After all if you train JUST ONE new fly tosser in proper stream manners, perhaps thats one less person you want to tie to a sinker and put at the bottom of the river...

Besides (and this is for all the silent members), a friendly nudge to get you to participate might actually cause you to make a few friends. We have more than enough alpha males and females here to divert the spotlight from you. But you can't make new friends by hiding in the shadows.

Now... why the heck are you guys reading this on a weekend? Go fish!
    --Ron--

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rtidd View Post
    But I have no way to tell the difference between a wall flower that wants to be a silent member of the community, a dead account, or someone that registered and went away in the hopes that some day they might win a prize in absentia.
    go to "community" in the brown bar above ans then click on member list. click on the a members name and youll see what date the person joined on and how many posts.

or click on a member name in a post then click "view members profile"
    Last edited by Normand; 07-19-2009 at 08:18 PM.

+ Reply to Thread