+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Benchside Reference for Southpaws

Big Bad Wulff - it's just a pain to have to figure it out. I was hoping you and your esteemed colleagues of "senior members" or the electronic herd might have run across someone who had written a tying guide for leftys or who had already "flipped" the images.

chewydog - tks.

Warmest regards.

Found something that may help. You are welcome to try it

http://www.ehow.com/how_4901483_inve...er-screen.html
    Last edited by Big Bad Wulff; 07-16-2009 at 02:55 PM.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

BBW,

You actually have an advantage.
    Both my daughters are lefties and are very right brained (creative) artists.
    Tying is an art and you should naturally be good at it.
    You also have an advantage watching videos. Think about this:
    Watching videos of right handed tyers is just like watching yourself tie in a mirror. Right handed tyers have to reverse what they see because the camera is looking into the tyer.

The fishing world is strange in this handedness regard. 90% of fly fishermen hold their rod in their right hand to cast and have the reel handle on the left side, but call it fishing right handed. Same applies to spinning reels. Both of my left handed daughters fish this way. BUT, casting reels with the handle on the left side are called left handed reels and casting right but reeling left is called fishing left handed. Doesn't make much sense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bluwatr View Post
    EdD - very impressive...tying by hand. While my interest is piqued - and once I get back into the groove of tying I may tap your experience again for a different, but related, subject (streamside tying) - I am going to stick with initial goal of "relearning the right way" WITH a vise.

Normand - Thks! That site rocks. I'm so used to looking at right-handed tutorials and converting in my head, I had to compare FAOL's tutorials with the ones on the site you provided...and CLICK. My head didn't hurt. Very many thanks!

Bluwatr, thanks, but that wasn't steamside tying, I simply didn't have a vise when I was a kid. I didn't have any tools other than a pocket knife and nail trimmers. I used loose lengths of thread and put down a half hitch over ever addition of material. As I recall, I just let my fingers figure out which was going to hold what. I got poked by hooks often, but I didn't care enough to stop.

You might be surprised by how fast you learn to do things like that. You'll start to know exactly how much thread you'll need for a fly and how to hold everything. I didn't really think about how to hold things, just how to tye the fly.

Best of luck.
    Ed

Blog Entries

Well I do a lot of things left handed, and I cast my fly rod left handed. It would of been nice to start out as a leftie tyer...but I had to watch videos of right handed tyers, and I would of just been confused...so I learned to tie right handed. Had I seen this book earlier, I may of changed my mind...but now it is cemented into my brain to tie this way. I have been tying for a year and a half or so.

CoachBob,
    I'm with you on the casting thing. I've actually taught myself to be ambidextrous for casting, because guides just can't seem to get their head wrapped around it. It was just easier to switch hands as the guide(s) drifted into a spot and set up for a right-handed cast. It has proven invaluable and I recommend it for your daughters.

BBW - tks for the link! A very interesting workaround. And, that's the interesting thing - we've had a couple of workarounds discussed, but no reference. Maybe, there's just so few southpaws that there's never been an overwhelming need to write a tying reference for them.

Warmest regards.

I'm a lefty but learned to tie right handed which made it easier for me in the long run. I guess I tie right handed, hold the bobbin in my right hand and use the left hand to hold materials on the hook. I reckon that is right handed.

Jeff

+ Reply to Thread