+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: JC's Figure 8...

Default JC's Figure 8...

Now that looks like a knot for me, I like anything that helps cut down the frustration I sometimes, (ok alot of times get)when flyfishing. I enjoy it very much and find it very relaxing, but my eye sight and such don't work as well as they used too and this knot looks like it will help out. I'll try it and see. Thanx JC, ya'll keep the idea's coming!

------------------
    Spelling and Grammar not subject to judgement...
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

The Figure 8 is one of the knots of choice if you want a stopper knot at the end of a line. It's used quite a bit for that purpose, rather than a standard overhand knot because it is easy to untie.

John Shewey at a demo one time said that on one of those slow days when working in a shop he decided to check the strengths of various non slip loop knots...[a knot I think makes a lot of sense in certain situations]...his conclusion....a figure of eight non slip loop knot beat all others.

For the life of me I can't seem to find that exact knot anywhere and though I've seen it demo'd it's a hard one to remember...[even had some pro's try to show me and they got messed up]

A few questions:

Anyone know a source?

JC, do you know this knot...could you demo it?

Maybe if I study your current demos it'll come to me....one of the keys is that twisting maneuver.

I sail and use this as a stop knot but what is the value of this knot in FF?
    Please enlighten as I'm in the dark on this one.

------------------
    A wing & a Prayer! ----*<(((><~ ~ ~ ~
    Quinn
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

Wednesday Caster, sailing is where I use it mainly. Can't think of a fly fishing use, just thought mentioning other uses might come in handy for everyday use by non-sailors.

The figure 8 is a great knot for joining two line, as JC mentioned. With a little practice you can tie in the dark. Haven't used it much for fly fishing, but it was my knot of choice for joining my climbing harness to the climbing rope. If there is ever a time when you need a strong, never fail not, thats it.

REE

Blog Entries

I love simple knots, JC, thank you, this is a very simple one! (Seems that oftentimes simplest is bestest).

How might one use this to put a loop in the end of a line? I thought that perhaps one could first use it to put a knot in the end of the line and then tie it a second time, pushing the first knot through the loop so it would "catch"? I may well have missed the obvious and failed to grasp how to make a loop with it. Is so apologies for my thickness.

------------------
    RRhyne56
    [url=http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com:0e662]http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com[/url:0e662]
    IM = robinrhyne@hotmail.com

Blog Entries

ah yes, thank you! Nice to add another tool to the arsenal.

------------------
    RRhyne56
    [url=http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com:fd7f9]http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com[/url:fd7f9]
    IM = robinrhyne@hotmail.com

Wow! This is the best. I can tie this one with my eyes closed. At least with a regular string that I use to practice knots. Now all I have to do is practice tying it with mono. That Loop is so easy!!! Thanks Bunches.
    Lee

------------------
    Lee - Better Loops and Singing Reels
    Better Loops & Singing Reels
    Lee

Why Knot.
    I though that I was the only one using the figure 8 knot. I have never read about it being used in
    FF until now. I use it a lot to make loops on the leaders and other tasks too. Being a climber, for me it's second nature to tie it.

If I've trusted my life to this knot for 16 years now, why shouldn't I trust it to help me land some fish?!

Dave

+ Reply to Thread