+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do You Have Fish Swimming in Your House?

Default Do You Have Fish Swimming in Your House?

Every once in a while a mention will appear about someone's indoor fish. We have an aquarium in our office after many years of not having one. We do have two small Koi ponds outside (and I need to feed them today) but I wonder how many of you have live indoor fish too?

Does it help keep us connected to our fishing? And oh yes, how you can tell if your big yellow snail is alive? It's floating.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

Haven't had one since I was a kid, but I miss it. I saw a beautiful saltwater tank yesterday. But they're expensive!!

We have had an aquarium since our kids were small.The bigger the tank the easier it is to keep the water chemistry balanced. Any kid that enters the room immediately runs to look at the fish. My wife laughs but i also test dry flies an emergers in the aquarium to see what they look like from underneath.
    We have not had success with snails the fish always picked on them when the snails had their heads out. It is not a continuos attack but it might appear so to a snail who lives a considerably slower pace

[This message has been edited by okflyfisher (edited 13 December 2005).]

Hey Ladyfisher,

We've had fish off and on for a number
    of decades. Love to watch them. Often
    more interesting than the TV.*G* Currently,
    we are down to a large bowl of goldfish, but
    have plans to get back into raising oscars,
    our favorites. I also have a 50 gallon
    tank that I'm considering setting up in my
    computer room as a warm water habitat with
    kritters from our lake. Maybe one day soon.

As to your floating snail, I once read that
    a snail can sleep for over a year.*G* I
    don't recall any that did, but it's possible. I beleive a healthy snail will
    float if his lungs are filled. I also
    believe that a healthy snail will keep
    his shell door tightly closed. If it's not
    tightly closed, and does not close tightly
    upon touching it, I believe you may need to
    trade your snail in on a newer model.*G*
    Warm regards, Jim

I have a tank with a few goldfish inside and a small pond outside. Over the years I have had many many tanks both fresh and saltwater. In many tanks I have also keep native fishes..ie sunfish, darters, small bass. They are lots of fun to keep.
    By the way Jim is correct if the door is not tight it probably has gone to the big pond in the sky...

Bill from PA

I have had a 10 gallon aquarium in my classroom for about the last 5 or 6 years as a part of my science class. I keep several small bluegills in it each year as a part of our study of pond life. Just this month, through a promotion by Petco, I got another 10 gallon aquarium. If the snow holds off tonight, I'm going to go out to the store to pick out the fish to fill it. It was a great deal - tank, filter, food, rocks, plants and fish for free. Once in a while, you find a good educational deal that is really worth while.
    CJ

------------------
    The only limitations we have are the ones we put on ourselves.

We have a 35 gallon acryllic tank. Mostly Tiger Barbs but we have a couple of Gouramis and some Orange Plattys and one remaininng Zebra Danio. And 2 bottom feeders of some type to help clean the algae. Always wanted a cold water system for a trout or two though.

------------------
    "The years of searching in the dark for the truth that one feels but cannot express, the intense desire and the alternations of confidence and misgivings until one breaks through the clarity and understanding are known only to him who has himself experienced them" - Albert Einstein

Blog Entries

I currently have a 33 gallon , a 10 gallon , two 2 gallon Aquariums . I have 11 white clouds . 12 Bronze Catfish , 12 gold barbs . 2 male betas (each in their own 2 gal tank )

This is down from my younger days when I had ten 102 gallon tanks and around 25 10 gallon tanks in my basement . I used to raise and sell tropical fish till it got to be too much like a job . Plus they started to raise tropical fish in huge ponds in the southern USA which dropped the bottom out of the market for me . I have asked Santa for a 55 gallon tank , but Santa preferrsfish sticks to any small live fish . I think Santa is afraid I will go back to my 35 or 40 tanks days and take over the basement again .

I watch fish for hours and am trying to find a variety that feeds like a trout so i can study them , the white clouds are close .

My favorite fish to raise is Oscars but you need at least a 100 gallon tank for them .
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Years ago, I brought some channel cats home that I had caught. Not wanting to clean them right away, I ran water in the bath tub and put them in there. Seems that didn't set too well with the first Mrs anglerdave. *G*

Oh and I know better than to try that with the present Mrs anglerdave.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

I have a 55 gal tank. I have a trio of Clown Loaches in there that are my favorite to watch. They used to be very vocal, making clicking noises once the light went off for the night. They are great fun around people who don't know what they are since they can "sleep" on their side and swim upside down. All of which is normal behavior.

+ Reply to Thread