+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to tie fly line to leader?

Default How to tie fly line to leader?

How do I tie the real thick line to a leader? I am really new to this stuff and need some help. I tied me a leader with 3ft 17lb/ 2.5ft 12lb/ 2.5ft 10lb. I think the name of the knot that I used is the blood knot. It keeps slipping when I tried to tie it to the fly line. I found a nail less nail knot online that looks to be a popular knot, but it looks really complicated. I am about to try this knot. Any other suggestions?

Thanks
    Last edited by stumpy041486; 07-13-2009 at 02:02 AM.

Go to cabelas.com and find you a tye-fast tool makes that so much easier
    Raiderhunter....Always In Search Of Water and Fish....

i tried several knots... blood, nail and a few others... i like the loop to loop connection myself cause it holds very well and is also easy and fast to change when you need to change leaders... the way i do it is first i take the very end of the flyline tip and cut it at an angle... take a pencil and loop the end of the line around it 1 turn and bring the pencil out of the loop... next wrap some tying thread around the tip and line that way the loop stays and secure the thread with some varnish (tying cement) then put a short peice of heat shrink tubing over that thread and shrink it down but be carefull not to get the flyline too hot... most leaders allready have a loop in the thick end so all you do is slip the flyline loop you made into the leader loop then put the tip of the leader through the flyline loop and pull... now this thing aint comming apart unless you take it apart... thats easy too... just pinch the lines a inch or 2 on each side of the loops and push towards each other... i use this same connection for attatching the backing to the flylilne and attatching tippit to the leader...

http://northcountryangler.blogspot.c...op-method.html

http://www.killroys.com/knots/looploop.htm
    Last edited by bugman; 07-13-2009 at 02:37 AM.
    A.S.F 5th GP ...TO FIGHT SO OTHERS MAY REMAIN FREE...

One more thing needed is a perfection loop in butt of your leader. Rather than describe it search youtube for "tying perfection loop". Simple knot and slip proof. Fast to tie too. Good luck.

5. Default knots

That fast tie tool is ok but whatcha gonna do when you don't have one handy? I know it souns rough & old fashioned but learn to tie the knots you mentioned, go to a local fly fishing club & you'll find they're ready to help.

Fly anglers are generally a pretty good bunch of folks & will show you how to do things.

Good luck don't get frustrated, & please don't give up. Once you get it & start to catch fish, it's like drugs. You'll be HOOKED!

There are many knots/ways but,,,Stumpy...keep it simple... for now....the classic/usual/most used way ...is to use a...Nail Knot...having said that it may [k]not...pun...be the way you may end up with...but is the most universal ...

You can Google it ...you can find it on this site in the knot section....
    Last edited by ducksterman; 07-13-2009 at 05:11 AM.

I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

When I'm rigging a line at home I use the nail knot and a "Tie-Fast" tool. If I have to re-rig the line when I'm fishing the nailless nail knot works well. Just be careful to get the loops to lay smooth when you tighten it up.
    Walt

Here's how: http://www.cabelas.com/hprod-1/0036231.shtml

Scientific anglers L2L leaders. Best stuff since the filet knife.

We don't need no steenkin' nail knot.

Been using these for 3 years with absolutely no problems. Even easier that it looks.
    Last edited by Big Bad Wulff; 07-13-2009 at 01:37 PM.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

stumpy041486 ...................
    If you don't want to use a tool. Here is a nail knot that you can tie anywhere: http://www.fishandfly.co.uk/knots/nless/index.html
    It's call the Nail-Less Nail Knot.
    Hope this helps,
    DickM.
    FFF Life Member #22

+ Reply to Thread