+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Walleye Fly

Blog Entries

Talking Walleye Fly

I have quite a collection of flies but what are some "master" flies for walleye. I've been hearing a lot but I want the real fly-fishers to tell me what walleye love best!

< Thank You!
    If your not losing gear you ain't fishin'!!!
    James "Wheatman" Ryncarz

Blog Entries

My best producer for walleye is a black rabbit strip fly with bead chain eyes. Usually tied it with a guinea collar and a weed guard.

Quote Originally Posted by James Ryncarz Jr. View Post
    I have quite a collection of flies but what are some "master" flies for walleye. I've been hearing a lot but I want the real fly-fishers to tell me what walleye love best!

< Thank You!

Clouser. I like chartreuse/white!

Default Black and heavy

I catch an equal amount of walleyes on really big black buggers and large black rabbit strip leaches. Usually with cones, but sometimes with dumbell eyes. No flash, just plain old black.

My second leading fly for them is a yellow and red popper. They're a lot of fun to catch on top, but the teeth really tear up the painted finish on my poppers.

Lots of fun on a fly rod though.
    Fishing with bait is like swearing in church.

You might consider trying a Chicago leech pattern. WarrenP, Jack Hise, and myself all had good luck catching Walleyes when I was in Tennessee on a black and white version of it. Here:
    Quote Originally Posted by WarrenP View Post
    When the "Dough God" was here on a visit he left me one of his "Chicago Leech" patterns and I modified it some and have caught just about all species of fish on it. Rather than use just one color of leech yarn, I used black and white. I tie mine on a #8 "hopper/caddis" style hook or any streamer style hook you have. I use a 1/8" or 3mm tungsten bead behind the hook eye, tie in one strand of white leech yarn and one strand of black leech yarn behind the bead, pull them over the top of the hook shank and palmer my black tying thread over them to the back tail tie in point, take hackle pliers and grip both yarns and twist them together just enough so they will furl together when you relax it, hold them at the tail tie in point with a length of about 3/4" for the tail length and let them furl. This makes a nice tight tail. Then I run my tying thread to the front behind the bead, unwrap the 2 leech yarns, brush them out to make them real spikey and them palmer them to the front where they will be tied off behind the beadhead. With each wrap coming forward I pull the spikey strands to the back so they are not trapped under the wraps. I bind them down real good behind the bead and do a double whip finish. That is all that is really needed, but, like all tyers, I have my quirks and after I finish the whip finish, I pick up a bobbin with red thread on it and start it over the black whip finish and build another head over the black with the red thread and do another whip finish. Give the whole fly another good brushing to make it real spikey and then use a small tube of black fabric paint and put a black dot on top of the red whip finish on each side for eyes. Cover all this with a nice coat of Sally Hansons and it is ready to fish. Remember that the red thread and eye dot are probably not needed, but, they are for this tyer only. The fish probably do not care.

Here is a picture of my pattern:

HTH.
    "Engineers don't idle well."

what size hook?
    yeah ,like they are just gonna jump on the hook ,,,huh

+ Reply to Thread