+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Preparaing the Blank

Unhappy Preparaing the Blank

I was researching different articles on the internet about rod building and I game across this one written by Bob Widgren that appears on Fly Fisherman Magazines web site. In the section on preparing the blank he says that if the two section of the blank are not the same length then the longer section needs to be cut. Is this true or false and is this really necessary?

Thanks Confused
    Raiderhunter....Always In Search Of Water and Fish....

Are you referring to this?
    http://flyfisherman.com/rodbuilding//index2.html

"PREPARING THE BLANK
    Check the length of the rod sections and make sure they are approximately the same length. If they are unequal, trim the longer section(s) with an abrasive cut-off disk or with the edge of a file. Do not use a saw, as the teeth will tear the graphite fibers. I like to have my tip section about 1/2 inch shorter than the other section(s), as the tip-top will usually add that much length to a built rod. Do not trim any mid-sections as you may ruin your ferrule fit. Trim only from the ends of the rod if necessary.
    "

Personally, I'd be very reluctant to cut anything off either end of any piece of a blank, unless the manufacturer specifically states so. As an example, cutting off even 1" from the tip end of a tip section of a blank can change the line weight rating by a full line weight. And if a 2 pc. blank contains a spigot ferrule, the sections WILL be different lengths if including the male spigot in the measurement.
    Last edited by PRM; 07-09-2009 at 04:06 PM.
    Whether you think you can, or think you cannot, you're probably right.
    --Author unknown

Only built a couple, so no where near an expert BUT I too read that same thing before I attempted a build.

My conclusion? Fah getta bote it!

Decide what you want, order the parts...and wrap it up!

Don'y worry about wrapping jigs and such...order a blank, handle, reel seat, winding check. guides, hook keeper, thread, epoxy, some flexcoat and get started.

Your gonna do it so just get started...keep it simple and wrap a simple, easy to complete,functional rod to get started....you may like the task or find you really don't care for it at all...save the fancy wraps and such until you decide you really want to make pretty rods.

At the base level all you really need to do is glue a handle and reel seat onto a blank then wrap and finish the guides and hook keeper....

This post is in NO way a dig at those that take this to an art level 'cause I know it can be done and is by many here...just trying to push a fellow over the edge...

From past experience, it is a process too easily over thought...just to get started!

At the base level all you really need to do is glue a handle and reel seat onto a blank then wrap and finish the guides and hook keeper....

This post is in NO way a dig at those that take this to an art level 'cause I know it can be done and is by many here...just trying to push a fellow over the edge...

From past experience, it is a process too easily over thought...just to get started!
    I totally agree with you brhoff. I view rod building like any other sort of activity. It can be as simple as you want to make it, or as difficult as you want to make it. I think too many guys are put off on trying it because they think you have to do all the fancy butt wraps,weaves, feather inlays and such. But really you don't need to do any of that to produce a really nice looking rod that you can be proud of.

Just like brhoff said, just get started. Don;t try to read too much about all the little details some guys do when your first starting because it can make you think twice about doing it. Get the stuff you need (the basics) like the blank/seat/grip/guides/check/top and dive on in. It's very addicting so you will end up building more than one. And once you do the first then you can start picking up on the little things that help to make a rod ever better as time goes by. But don't "overthink" things for the very first rod

Steve

+ Reply to Thread