+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does flyline colour affect fish catching?

Blog Entries

My 2 cents CDN . I cast better if I can see the line so I use bright chatruse floating line , which tends to make my presentation better . I use the longest leader I can . I have had the fish strike the leader/flyline knot on more than one occasion . Anything that helps your presentation will improve your fishing IMO . Everything changes tho when you go to a sinking line . I use as dark as I can get because I fish in dark coloured lakes .
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Jed,

I posed a similar question awhile back about colors of furled leaders. As I recall, the majority of people responding said color makes no difference. Now, I have no opinion on that. Well, yes I do, I don't like furled leaders regardless of the color. But that aside, the color of the leader is a lot closer to the fly, so what would be your response when only the tippet separates the color from the fly?

Allan

Nope
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

I think 2 feet (approximate tippet length) is pretty close. It can leave shadows and it can fall within the cone of vision of the fish. Here is an experiment. Cast a line with leader and tippet on a 2' deep clear calm water. Look to the bottom. You can see the shadow of the line, and maybe the butt of the leader but as you get closer to leader end and the tippet you cannot see the shadow. I would propose this as an interesting test with your line/leader/tippet and then you can answer the question about furled leaders for me

I have passed a rod over trout casting the shadow across them. They see the shadow on the bottom and move away from it. Don't know the exact relevance of this experiment or the shadow, but I think it gets us a little closer to the answer of what fish see and don't see and what they respond to.

jed

Many people "do not" wear bright colors to stream fish. There have been comments about the color of clothing and how it can spook fish. One person commented if you go the the stream with him in a bright white T-Shirt you won't be fishing with him because it would spook fish. Sooooo....why wouldn't the different colors of fly lines, especially "bright colors" like ORANGE or WHITE, spook fish also......uh....more than other softer more muted colors?

GEM

Probably not, but I still use only olive or grey lines.

I don't think color makes a difference because, like what has already been said, its just a silloute to the fish. However, I think line color is important for the angler to see the line, especially if you don't use a strike indicator.

Round as we are, they would prololy just think it's another big white cloud going over.

Good question Saflyfish. People watch the color of their rods, color of their clothing, keep their shadow off the stream, don't make any sudden movements, false cast not over the stream till final cast, try different color of flies, talk about fish vision, talk about what colors attract fish more and then speak of a trout so attracted to your fly he can see it, and will jump clear up out of the water to take it out of the air, you sneak stealthly up on trout in streams and keep a low profile and cast from your knees to not spook fish, then use any color of fly line the want to?

Gem

[This message has been edited by Plain Old Jim (edited 10 December 2005).]

I think the same principles can be applied to clothing. If the sun is behind you, the color of your clothing doesn't matter so much. In general, I would say that is the preferred angle for approaching a fish. But you can't always approach from that direction.

If the sun is facing you, then the white shirt that you are wearing is very clearly visible in the trout's window. I have a dvd using underwater photography that drives this point home.

Besides that, the plastic license holder pinned to the front of your vest really shines when facing the sun. Consequently, I pin mine to the back of my vest.

+ Reply to Thread