+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Oh My Gosh! I caught a fish!

Default Oh My Gosh! I caught a fish!

It's been a very slow year for fishing for me. I haven't caught a thing so far, but I also haven't been fishing 2 or 3 nights a week like last year. I've only been out 6 or 7 times this year.

Well on Saturday I went to the Bear river. It was a very hot 107 degree day in the foothills. My hope was that the river was still cool enough for the trout but warm enough to get a good hatch going. With the snow melt the runoff has been tremendous lately. 2 weeks ago the river was a good 2 feet above normal and roaring. Now it looks more normal.

I got the the river about 7 pm and put my waders on over my shorts. It had dropped to the mid 90's and there was no way I was going to wear fleece under waders and then hike in a half a mile to my favorite spot.

I rigged up and started hiking. I tried fishing a few pools from the bank with a PT nymph but couldn't get anything to happen. As I was reeling in I turned downstream just in time to see a fish jump in the big calm pool about 50 yards away.

Holy Cow, They're jumping!

So I hiked down and switched to a dry fly before wading in. It was at that moment that I regretted not wearing fleece. It may be 95 degrees outside but that river was still snow melt and I felt it. But the fish were jumping and within a few minutes I barely noticed.

I had about a half a dozen strikes but they hit so fast that I couldn't set the hook in time. They were hungry.

I floated my little pale yellow dry fly down the same stretch another half a dozen times when he hit it. The fight was quick and easy and I soon had a nice 10 inch rainbow in my hand.

Whoo Hoo! I'm a fisherman again.

I would think that fighting a fish would have spooked the others but as soon as I released him there were 2 or 3 other fish rising about 20 feet away. From the same spot I cast to them and got one more strike. I set the hook and felt him wiggle but he threw the hook.

I kept presenting my fly to the risers but it was getting too dark to see my fly. (I've since learned that this is when I should switch to a wet fly and swing it). As the darkness came and the bats started to dart about the fish stopped rising as well. So I hiked back out and was home by 9:30 just in time for a cold beer and a swim in the pool.

I always enjoy getting out. But actually catching a fish now and then sure adds to the experience. I'm heading back out tonight. I'll let you know what I find.

Yippie skippie!!! and good on you!!! Yahhhhhhhhhh!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Congratulations. Anytime one catches a fish it's special.

Jeff

Default Congrats Angler!

Now let's get some more.......and don't forget your longjohns!

BobbyG
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

congratulations. It feels so good to break a cold streak.

The heat wave we've been having must have melted a lot of snow up in the Sierras. The river level was up over a foot higher than it was on Saturday. The calm pools were moving fast and I didn't see one fish rising. They were all down in their bomb shelters.

I tried swinging a caddis pupae downstream under a strike indicator. I tried dipping it into the dark holes and then following the bubble lines in the river but I had no takers. So after a little more than an hour I headed home.

Maybe the river will be back down by this weekend. That's the main reason I haven't been fishing is because the rivers are so high and rushing. And now they're back up. Oh well, patience.

+ Reply to Thread