+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Kid is gonna be dangerous

Default Kid is gonna be dangerous

I was out practicing with the new fly rod in the front yard the other day and when I came in I saw my 10 year old son with his face pressed to the window. I had recently taken him fishing with a spincast setup for the first time and we had a great time. I thought "what the heck, he did well casting that" so next time I went I out I brought him with me. Within 10 minutes he was matching my casts (not a big feat but he's 10 and this is a 9wt!) He had to use 2 hands on the rod for most of the time but he was getting the little popper across the yard. I suppose it's further proof that you don't have to muscle the cast to get it out. I may have a fishing buddy that will outdo me shortly.
    Craig
    Deltona, FL

Yep. They do catch on quick.
    I have a Grand Son who is my fishin buddy. And he has a huge amount of patience for an 8 year old.
    Our next step is to get him fly fishin. He's well on his way with spin casting and taking care of trolling set ups.
    I want to get him on some of my favorite creeks in the High Sierra's. Places I learned as a boy.
    You do realize you now need to get him his own outfit for fly fishin, right?
    These are the days a young man remembers all of his life.
    Sonny Edmonds

"If I don't teach them, how will those Grand Kids learn to fish?"
    Lesson 1: What catches fish Vs: What catches fisherman's money.

He has a birthday coming in a few months and his grandmother has already put in dibs for buying him his first outfit. I'm thinking a 5wt in maybe 8ft?
    Craig
    Deltona, FL

Kid's are great. They don't have any bad habits they have to unlearn. Their good casting can also prompt us to do better ourselves.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

First time posting pics so let me know if this worked...

Watch that backcast!

Craig
    Deltona, FL

Congratulations. You are in for a real treat watching him learn to cast, just be ready for him to become better than you.

My daughter started casting at 11 yrs old.

Our experience was that shorter rods were easier to control and less tiring for her to cast. She started with an 8'6" 5wt. But if I'd had the option, an 8' rod would have been a better choice. TFO plans to introduce some youth rods this summer. We got to cast two prototypes last weekend and I was impressed, they're nice rods. If you have trouble finding a rod you like for him, take a look at these rods. They will be called "Bug Launchers".

The best decision that I made was to not teach her myself. We attended some casting clinics together. Letting experienced instructors teach her to cast helped her avoid the bad casting habits that I've struggled to unlearn.

Good luck and enjoy your time together learning to fly fish.

Rex

I had my son casting younger than that. Looks like you're in eastern to central Florida - get him a lighter rod and give him a go for the Pan Fish. He'll have a blast. I started my son on a 7 1/2' 5 wt - he had no problem casting it and caught tons of fish.
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

Quote Originally Posted by RexW View Post
    They will be called "Bug Launchers"..

Rex
    LOL!
    That's what the 3 year old girl next door calls my flys. (my wife babysits her)
    BUGS! BUGS, Papa!
    You want to see?
    NOOOOO.... as she backs away.

Now, if the fish just find them that realistic...

I just love the innocence of children.
    Sonny Edmonds

"If I don't teach them, how will those Grand Kids learn to fish?"
    Lesson 1: What catches fish Vs: What catches fisherman's money.

Fantastic Craig.

I had the pleasure and enjoyment of teaching both of my daughters to fish and helped them catch their first fish and then the same pleasure and enjoyment of teaching my five grandchildren to fish and helped each of them catch their first fish. My oldest grandson, on his second trip with me fly fishing, had me stopping just to watch him cast. He had a knack and cast with the most fluid and graceful motion. I was somewhat stunned.

Your son seems to have it in his blood. He will make the best fishing buddy you could ever want.
    Steve

+ Reply to Thread