+ Reply to Thread

Thread: brook trout in steelhead rivers

Default brook trout in steelhead rivers

I live on the north shore of Lake Superior. Brook trout reside in some of the larger rivers flowing into the lake.
    During steelhead season, you never catch a small brook trout, only an occasional coaster that moves up into the river.

My question is: where do the brook trout go? Do they move out into the big lake? Do they hide and not feed while the steelhead are in? Or is there some other reason?

Passlake,

First, welcome to the board. I'm sure other will have some info but here's my two cents worth.

I recommend you grab a copy of a book called "Brook Trout" by Nick Karas. This will give you a good foundation on all things Brook Trout.

As far as coaster go they are just Brook Trout that have adapted the habit of moving out of the rivers and spending a portion of their life in a larger fresh water body of water. Generally they will spend one to three years in the river then run to the lake. They are considered "littoral" fish during this period of their lives (meaning they stay relatively close to shore, in fairly shallow water, 20 or 30 feet deep).

"It's this affinity for shoreside life that spawned the name coaster."

Superior, particularly the area around Nipigon Bay and it's corresponding river is or at least was famous for these fish. Late summer and early fall the move into the rivers to spawn.

Hope that helps, get Karas' book. It's a great Brookie book.
    Joe Bertolini

The do move back out to the lake but stay in close to shore not migrating out as far as Steelhead or Salmon. In Michigan they are a threatened species.

Thanks for the replies and sorry for any confusion I caused with my question. I am familiar with coasters. They are actually common here on the north shore. Coasters spend most of their lives in Lake Superior and move into the rivers from time to time but they are primarily lake dwellers. The coasters in these parts spawn on rocky shoals in the Lake Superior and do not move into rivers to spawn.

My question referred to the resident brookies that live in the rivers for their entire lives. I know they are the same species but they have different habits.

I never see or catch resident trout during steelhead season. I have, on the other hand caught coasters in and around the mouths of these rivers.
    Last edited by passlake; 06-25-2009 at 09:51 AM.

Okay, now I get it. I guess the best answer I could give would be "I don't know". I suspect with all the big fish in the rivers they might just be laying low to avoid being a meal for somebody. Most of the Brookies I fish for are located in small, remote, headwaters streams, and while not particularly allusive, they can be easily frightened and "put down" by my clumsy, stream side fumbling.

Again, I'm just guessing but since big fish eat small fish, I'd tend to think the move into locations that would make them less available as a food sources for the steelhead and coasters in the river. Since these secondary or tertiary lies are probably not typical places to fish for these bigger fish, this might account for the apparent absence. I doubt they stop eating entirely during this time but I bet they are a lot more careful about when and where the choose to feed. Remember, I'm just guessing!
    Last edited by alra195; 06-25-2009 at 01:05 PM.
    Joe Bertolini

@alra195
    First off, thanks for the welcome.
    Secondly, that is my theory: the small trout hide out until the big predators are gone. Thanks for the reply.

Btw, the steelhead have been gone for about 3 weeks now and the brookies are starting to rise again.

Default Same with Smallies

I have noticed the same thing with SM during the Steelie run in the Erie Tribs. I think they are just overwhelmed with the biomass and hide until the trout are gone.
    To Miss Nancy - She hated fishing, but loved a fisherman.

+ Reply to Thread