+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bear spray?

Default Bear spray?

In anticipation of the new National Parks allowing concealed carry and a personal experience with no less than THREE bear encounters while hiking/fishing, I decided to upgrade my arsenal. A present to myself for Fathers Day. This is a Colt 45 Commander that should discourage a bear from making lunch of me or my companions. Of my three encounters, ONE was particularly scary. It was then I decided that not allowing one to protect oneself from bear attack was at least nonsense and at best STUPID. When I fly fish Wyoming and it's National Parks, I hike into the remotest areas where such encounters are very possible. I intend to harm no animals unless they intend to harm me.
    My other concern it this administration's inclination to disarm even law abiding citizens. The naivete in THAT is beyond MY comprehension.

Mark

Question Enough gun?

From what I have read, the 45 pistol round wouldn't even slow down an angry bear--thank goodness I don't have any up-close and personal experience. It does look like a nice pistol, though, and should work well on other predators.

Id, take my bear spray over that any day. Why cause Bear spray is a cloud, and you don't have to be accurate. I have seen on a couple occasions, the bear hit the cloud, stop dead and then turn and run.

Or like JC would say just fish with a slower running friend...
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

You could always try to find a double barrel shotgun pistol. I'm sure they still make those.

Default Bear Spray

I seldom ever post unless I can improve the silence, so here I go. Fwiw, if you're going to carry something, get something capable of doing the job. A 41/44 mag, 12 guage with 00. I will/do carry either and bear spray, Counter Assault. Would also recommend a book, "Mark of the Grizzly". Think long and hard and PRACTICE before implementing these tools. Best of luck. And yes I am and do fish grizzly country very often.
    Vdub

Don't know if a .45 ACP would stop a charging grizzly, but there is just something nice about wrapping your hand around a 1911. Great looking pistol. If I had my druthers I'd take one over most any other pistol.
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Blog Entries

Good on ya, Marco. I would probably have Hydra-Shoks in it instead of the hardball, but...

I would much rather carry a handgun I could shoot well, even if it is not the most powerful one in the world, than a hand cannon I am not completely comfortable shooting. I wouldn't hesitate to use my .40 on a bear if the need arose. I would prefer a shotgun but it is apain to carry when you are flyfishing...

Talking

Nice piece.

In bear country, we usually carry Winchester defenders, 12 ga, .. 00 or slugs. 7 in the magazine.

With a side arm, ... practice make good, ... experience is the road to perfect. Practice isn't plinking at the dump. Practice is a couple THOUSAND rounds gong down range coming out of the holster, ... double taps. Use range rounds to practice and that hottest loads you can find or load for real life.

Some think a side arm is too small for bears, ... then again, .. it is handy to put one in the leg of your buddy when worse come to worse

Bear spray is sort of effective ... IMHO, prevention is the best tool for the job. Be aware ... Be Bear aware.

Have fun and play hard. Come home safe!
    Christopher Chin

Gentlemen et al,
    Thanks for the comments. My experience with this weapon in the US Army and firing perhaps many thousand rounds with the Army issue version played a major part in my decision. A "few" years ago, I was able to fire two magazines into the "point rings" of a standard target at 25yds in 15 seconds. ( The "good guys" could do it in less than 10). I'm sure I'll need to do a few more "plinking at the dump" sessions to recover that skill and I intend to do just that.
    At this point, I am not familiar with loads and bullet types so I do appreciate the suggestions given so far. I intend to try several loads and determine their effects on accuracy etc.
    Also, I agree it's not the "best" choice for my ultimate intended use BUT, as suggested by some, a cool head and accuracy in it's use will even the odds considerably.
    Also ( again) my canister of UDAP will always be with me.

Mark

+ Reply to Thread