+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stop and Smell the Flowers

Default Stop and Smell the Flowers

Chris (FCCH) is accurate that he carries a few things with him when he goes fishing. A full truck load to be exact. Aside from the things he mentioned in the article thhe also has a stove, food for 1/2 of Quebec and enough water to irigate 3/4ths of California. I must admit that I am surprised to see a bird book. When last I saw Chris he had a unique way of bird ID. There are little brown birds, big brown birds and birds that eat fish. I might be missing a bird type or two but if so only one or two.

I too travel light and the thing I like about that is the opportunity to pass it on. The other day I was fishing and met two mid-westerners who had never fished for trout. Where we use 6x or 7x to fish and #22 files they were equipped for something closer to what I use for Stripers. I took a few moments, gave them some leaders, a spool of tippet and a couple of flies to get them started. The cost was minimal but the results were awsome. All three of us gained from the interaction. I later met another fisherman on the river and he asked if I was the one who gave them the leaders and flies. I admitted it was I and he thanked me for it. It's nice to know that the role of ambassador is appreciated and will likely be passed on. That is all I asked of those men. Pass the favor on to someone, sometime to help them out.

jed

I fully agree, Jed. My fishing buds and I have shared lots of flies with strangers. Several years ago I was doing pretty well on the North Branch of Michigan's AuSable River, adjacent to a small camping area. A pre-teen boy was watching and, when I walked to shore, asked me what I was using. I showed him my little black caddis pattern, then put a couple in his hand. You would have thought I had given him a hundred dollar bill, judging by his expression! What did it cost me? Zilch. Who benefited? The boy, who learned about sharing success with others; me, who just loved watching his excitement; and our sport, because that boy- perhaps now nearly a man- hopefully understands that fly fishing is about way more than just catching fish.

Chuck

I wish that attitude was universal

Quote Originally Posted by FISHN50 View Post
    I wish that attitude was universal
    I have found that attitude to be very prevalent among the fly fishing community. I rarely meet a new person on the water where there is not some sort of exchange of flies, or sharing of information on good water or fish hideouts in the direction one of us is going. I think this because most fly flingers I meet are C&R fishermen. This is what keeps me in the sport...sharing and caring.
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

If I have something that is working and I have like two of them left them I totally give them away to any other anglers who are around. Spinner fishers I tell to use on a bubble and fly fishers know what to do with the flies I spread around.

Remember that Jesus found fishing more fun than carpentry. I'm sure he shared lots of his fishing secrets and patterns with others and I will do the same as well...heck, it's just feathers and fuzzz............
    It's.....Just....A.....Stick...!!

Talking

Hey Jed!

Actually, you forgot my catagory f birds: Big White ones that eat fries at a McDonalds parking lot!

In reality, I need the bird book, 'cause... as a forester, I'd look pretty dumb if someone asked a question about a bird

Wisdom isn't Knowing EVERTHING, ... it's knowing where to look or who to ask!
    Christopher Chin

Quote Originally Posted by fcch View Post
    Hey Jed!

Actually, you forgot my catagory f birds: Big White ones that eat fries at a McDonalds parking lot!

In reality, I need the bird book, 'cause... as a forester, I'd look pretty dumb if someone asked a question about a bird

Those big white birds are SEA- GEE YOU ELEVENS

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Thumbs up Way to go!

Hi Jed,

You did a really nice thing. Pats on the back all the way around! 8T

Quote Originally Posted by fcch View Post
    Hey Jed!

Chris,
    You hit the nail on the head with that quote... Words to live by if there every were any..

Jed and Chris,
    I would feel privileged to fish with either one of you...

Take care,

Steve
    Last edited by Steve Molcsan; 08-29-2009 at 10:39 PM. Reason: You also 8T
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

I remember some of my earlier experiences after my brother got me out on the north platte. I went to little hole below Flaming Gorge dam on the green, and I was very, you guessed it, green.

there were a large amount of people who would stop by, and help me out. this is where I got my true roots in the sport, and the amount of people who helped was tremendous.

+ Reply to Thread