+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Armour all on Fly Lines

Default Armour all on Fly Lines

I can't draw any conclusions on this stuff.
    Some suggest it for use to clean your fly lines, while others suggest never applying it to fly line.

Whats a man to do?

thanks
    Mike

I have used it without any noticable negative effect but not any longer. When Leon Chandler was alive and coming in the chat room he advised against using armour-all on fly lines. Now I buy products designed for cleaning and dressing fly lines....The cost is only slightly higher. Now I don't have to post questions like yours on bb's

[This message has been edited by Buzz (edited 03 December 2005).]

Newfoundlander,

Just use Glide. Can't go wrong with that! I've used it sucessfully for a few years now. I don't take chances with chemicals that aren't recommended for fly lines.

That stuff contains petroleum. Why not just rub your line with motor oil or gasoline?

The summer before last, a guy told me about putting 303 Protectant on fly lines (303 is a UV inhibitor, like Armor All, but without the petroleum base, which is supposedly even better).

I had a new Scientific Angler Mastery Series line, so I put some 303 Protectant on it. By the end of the summer, the line was prematurely cracked and needed to be replaced.

This past summer, I used an identical Scientific Angler Mastery Series line for approximately the same amount of time as I had used the line the prior summer (90 days usage), but just cleaned it with a mild soap and water, and the line now still looks like new.

You be the judge.

John

This question always keeps turning up. A bottle of flyline cleaner [if you have an old line] costs $6 or $7 and will last forever. With the newer lines all you need if mild soap and water. Why risk a $50 or $60 flyline to save 18 1/2 cents??

Just my two cents worth.

Donald

What is Glide? I never heard of it...sooooo don't know where or what department of Wal-Mart to look for it. (I live in a small town....if Wal-Mart doesn't carry it....there won't be any other specialty type of store up here that would have it)

ICW Amour All. I posed this question on here long ago. When I was a kid I remember some tacky waxy stuff came in a red white and blue little cannister...it was a fly line dressing....think Shakespeare. Worked great. Heck my line would float all day....in a calm lake cove surface. Stuff I bought (a manafactured product sold as a fly line treatment) here same texture but worthless. It was a store bought fly line dressing but my floating line started to dip and sink withing 2 hours. I am not recommending Armour All because I haven't tried it.....yet. My 75 yr old liftime fly fisher from the Snake area of Idaho swears by Armour All. AND it is even recommended in some fly rod makers literature. My Fly Logic 4wt equipped with reel and line came with a booklet recommending use Armour All. I THINK that is where I read it.....so Fly Logic pls don't sue me. I love the Fly Logic rod and reel I bought. Soooooo I too am wondering.....still....the best way to treat a floating fly line. John.....tks for the post on 303.. It is recommended to treat my Tonneau Cover and I haven't been able to find 303. Per your post and I thank you for it...I am not going to look for 303 anymore. I was going to try it on flies and fly lines.

Gem

Well I suppose with the life of these lines being 400 fishing hours, why bother cleaning it anyway, in my case, I could kill the life of my line between may and september.

POJ,

I use glide all the time. [url=http://www.theflyshop.com/images/p63/dressings.gif:6817f]http://www.theflyshop.com/images/p63/dressings.gif[/url:6817f]

You can mail order it from most shops, including many of the sponsors here.

------------------
    Christopher Chin, Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:6817f]Fishing the Ste-Marguerite[/url:6817f]
    Christopher Chin

Those are the nay sayers, , now anyone use it and find their line to be ok?
    thanks all
    Mike

I have not soaked a line in the spray, but I have used the wipes. Did an OK job of cleaning and slicking up the line, but It didn't last long and I did not notice any improvement in duration of "float".

This was on warm water with the incumbent algae and assorted flotch.

Jim

+ Reply to Thread