+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Olympus 1050 SW

Default Olympus 1050 SW

Anyone try one of the new Olympus cameras? We have 6 digital cameras in the house now. I carry a small Nikon Coolpix on the water with me now, but the way that I like to go for a swim, I think that I will destroy that one soon and I am just very lucky so far. Thinking of giving the Coolpix to one of the kids and buying a dedicated waterproof camera for me. I just need a waterproof with a macro feature that is cheap. I found the new 1050 for $150 delivered and am shocked at the pricing. Not long ago it took about $300 for a waterproof camera. This is also shock proof and will take the cold too.

Looking about this price point if you have another idea instead of this camera. No need to spend very much on these disposable items these days.

I've also been looking at waterproof cameras. The Pentax Optio's seem to get very good reviews, and I was considering the WP 60. It's more expensive than the Olympus, though.

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    I've also been looking at waterproof cameras. The Pentax Optio's seem to get very good reviews, and I was considering the WP 60. It's more expensive than the Olympus, though.
    Does look like a nice camera, but I think that I could save close to $100 with the Olympus and that will probably be good enough for a fly fishin' vest camera for me. Remember we already have 6 digitals in the house including a nice DSLR.

Normand Guest

the 1050 used to be top of the line but it has some big brothers with the "tough 6000 & 8000". check them out at the olympus website
    Last edited by Normand; 06-19-2009 at 07:49 PM.

Thumbs up

Hi Clay - I went through this about a month or two ago. My choices were narrowed down to the Olympus 1050SW, and the Pentax Optio W60. I was just about ready to pull the trigger on the Olympus, when I found the W60 for $189 shipped.

The Olympus had one feature I liked over the W60 - a sliding lens cover. It isn't tight fitting, but it will protect the lense in your pocket. It also powers up the camera when you slide it down (nice feature).

The Olympus is only 3X optical zoom, the W60 is 5X. The macro feature on the W60 is more capable, and the W60 has much better video capabilities. After comparing the two, the Pentax has slightly better optics as well.

All this said, I wouldn't hesitate to get a 1050SW, especially considering you have other options in house. I DO love my W60 though!

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    Does look like a nice camera, but I think that I could save close to $100 with the Olympus and that will probably be good enough for a fly fishin' vest camera for me. Remember we already have 6 digitals in the house including a nice DSLR.
    Well, I have zero digitals in the house and was finally shamed into buying one. (I try to stay at least 10 years behind the times. )

The only reason I'm willing to go with the Pentax is I have a couple of Best Buy gift cards. They'll cut the cost by quite a bit.

Good comments all, Normand not really interested in "top of the line" on this purchase, it's more about price point. Now if it was $30 that's one thing, $100 is another. Wife wanted me to order one today, but I think more research is in order. Thanks for all the good info guys. Anyone know of any good deals right now, let's talk $$$$ instead of features.

This is the place I got my W60 from. This bundle has everything you'll need, at a great price. Odd that they only sell the bundle with the blue camera though.

http://www.adorama.com/IOMS1050BLA.html

Quote Originally Posted by Heritage Angler View Post
    This is the place I got my W60 from. This bundle has everything you'll need, at a great price. Odd that they only sell the bundle with the blue camera though.

http://www.adorama.com/IOMS1050BLA.html
    Thanks man, found the Sw1050 for $149 delivered.

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    I picked up a Optio W30 last year & I'm happy with it. The only fault I have with it is that there is no lens cover like on the Olympus.. This might seem minor but when you go to take it out of your pocket with fish slime on your hands & touch the lens you have to clean it off. I was in B.J's today & they had a Fuji 10 Megapixel waterproof camera for $160.00. I forget the model number at the moment but it is worth checking out. I know the next digital camera I get will have a viewfinder.......

+ Reply to Thread