+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fishing in Georgia - where to go?

Default Fishing in Georgia - where to go?

We are heading to Georgia around the Atlanta area in mid August. I'd appreciate any fly fishing recommendations - where to go, flies to use, tips.

Thanks in advance!

Well, to begin with it's going to be HOT in Atlanta in August. That will limit some of the areas you can expect to fish sucessfully. That being said, there's so much fishing around here that you can always find something. If you want to fish for trout, then I would suggest that you contact the local fly fishing store here in Atlanta called the Fish Hawk. Great guys who will have the latest information and will not steer you wrong. If you want to try some warm water action then I think that the Charles Elliott Wildlife Management fishing area which is about 20 miles east of Atlanta is the best place to go. It has 23 lakes ranging from 3 to 96 acres in size, is well managed and many of the lakes are mowed to the water, allowing plenty of casting room. I've always had the best luck fishing these lakes very early in the morning during the summer for obvious reasons. Just a couple of ideas.

Jim Smith
    Conyers, Georgia

Two rivers -

Chattahoochee Tailwater for trout 20 miles north of Atlanta - start at Buford dam and work your way down -

Toccoa river tailwater - start at Tammen Park or Curtis Switch

PM me when you are about to come to Atlanta.

Mike

The fishing in Nor. Cal and Oregon are better than in Georgia. I know that because I am a Georgian that lived out there and has made a number of trips beyond that time out there. There is no reason for a westerner to kill himself hauling equipment on an airplane to fish the streams in Georgia. The Chattahoochee below the dam produces some of the biggest streambred fish in the state, there are operations that produce pellet pigs as well. In summary, the trout fishing is not going to be something unique that you can not surpass closer to home. The S. Holston up in TN is better and some streams in NC as well, but they are all a pretty good haul from Atlanta proper.

The better fishing that GA would have to offer at that time of year would be a striper run in the rivers or, to do something unique that you cannot surpass at home, you might want to look into fishing the Flint River sw of Atlanta for shoal bass. You can float and wade and the heat won't seem as bad.

Default Georgia Fishing

Thanks to all for your replies and info. I appreciate your suggestions. Wet wading in August sounds like the best way to beat the heat and humidity.

The last time I was in Georgia I fished the Chattahoochee and enjoyed it. Later that same trip I had President Carter autograph one of his fly fishing books at the Carter Center. He is a great fan of the Hooch. Pretty cool!

Now if I can only match the hatch on the Hooch I'll be set.

+ Reply to Thread