+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Back, And had some fun!

Default Back, And had some fun!

It wasn't all very technical water, but it sure was fun.

10 day trip to ID-Boise area. Water was too high to fish much around town. I did get out to the Boise one day, but no luck.

Went East to the Hagerman/Thousand Springs/Malad/Niagra Springs area for an overnighter. This was where the fun began.

We fished the Malad just above the Snake, and below the gorge. The water was beautiful. I caught a few fish, all wild, nothing big. First time in my life I had caught more than one non-suicidal fish in a day on a nymph. I actually think I understand how to nymph now...and it DOES work just like fishing bait. My father-in-Law (FTL) didn't enjoy himself very much, he was having one of those bad days where everything went wrong. We packed up and went further along the highway (30??) to Billingsly Creek.

This was the technical part. Once we found water fishable w/o a float tube (Aqualife section) we saw a lot of large fish, which we decided to come back for during the evening.

**mini rant begins**

PLEASE STOP CALLING THOSE MUTANT ALBINO TROUT THEY GROW IN IDAHO AND SELL IN THE SUPERMART "GOLDEN TROUT"!! THAT IS AN INSULT TO THE CALIFORNIA STATE FRESHWATER FISH, WHICH IS A BEAUTIFUL PIECE OF CREATION.

**mini rant ends**

Those mutant trout sure are easy to see in the waters they escaped to. And they definately get big. I saw a couple caught in the 3lb plus range. I found them to be good from a purely observational perspective. I can see them, so I can learn more about where real trout might hang out.

We traveled on to the Niagra Springs steelhead hatchery (State run). This is one of my FTL's favorite place to fish. It is almost all stockers, however, so some here may turn up their nose. We fished the outflow of the hatchery, and over the space of about 6-8 hours over 2 days caught at least 100 fish between the two of us.

Personally, I get bored with that, so I started teaching myself. Worked a nymph under a bobber (yes bobber. I don't believe that any strike indicatior is any better than my tiny red and white bobber) and caught fish. Worked the nymph w/o a bobber and caught fish. Worked a dry..caught fish. Let the dry sink and stripped it back...caught fish for the first time ever using this technique. Tried a streamer (bugger) stripped and caught fish for the first time ever even trying a streamer. Fished a streamer on the swing (a first) and caught them that way too. I know they are stockers, not like wild fish, but I did catch some dink wild ones too. This does not mean that I can catch a 25" fish on Silver Creek or some other technical water, but I understand more of the mechanics.

Long story short...I now, after 8 years of FFing feel 1000% more confident about my abilities. Thanks for following along.

This weekend is somewhere local...within 2-3 hours of Sacramento for the whole weekend...just gotta figure out where I want to go camp. Anyone wanna go?
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

Maodiver, thanks for the post. In Utah we called those mutants "Albinos", in eastern Idaho they call them "Banana" Trout. I don't usually fish where they are, so I've never caught one in Idaho. Would someday like to catch a Golden Trout, but the hips are worn out so I don't think I'll ever make it to the higher country where they live.
    Sounds like you had a great trip.

Kelly.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Blog Entries

Mao, sounds like a great trip, thanks for shareing the experience

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Blog Entries

I call them PMRs (pale mutant rainbows).
    Steve
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"
    Will Rogers

Maodiver, Thanks for taking us along on your trip. I'd like to go camping with you this weekend but I'm slated for 3 days in San Diego. My anniversary don't you know. I will take my 8 wt and some flashy stuff for the bay but don't know if I'll get to use it. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

The weekend has firmed up.

This PM....the Hwy 50/South Fork American/Silver Fork from Pollack Pines to Strawberry. Then into the forest to sleep in the back of my Explorer.

tomorrow AM....back to the same area fishing down to Placerville. Pick up my wife's cousin (he's about 16), then up to Wright's Lake above Strawberry. Back down to Placerville to drop him off. Back to the forest

Sunday...I think this will be the Hope Valley Area of the West Carson River. I love this spot for its beauty and semi-solitude. Then home after dark.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

+ Reply to Thread