+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Little info needed please...

Default Little info needed please...

The female Ferrul on the base part of my cane rod makes a ticking noise when pressure is applied, is this normal or a warning sign?
    I don't know, I'm not that educated on rods.
    Thank you for any info on this...

Tim
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

Blog Entries

it is a warning sign that the ferrule is lose. You may be just be able to remove it and
    re-cemet it , if the wood is not too worn. Not knowing the age of your rod, check to see if it is pinned before trying to remove it...........Ed

Thank you for responding, I wasn't sure if that meant the wood part splitting or it just could be loose,... its not pinned so do I try and just force pull it off and reglue it or what? and what to glue it with, super glue? LOl sorry I don't don't know and really don't want to mess up the rod.. thank you again.
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

Blog Entries

Hey no problem Mr. Grubb............ It not being pinned should make it a lot easier to remove.
    Heat the furrule up using an alcohol lamp if you have one or you could place it in a plastic bag and boil it if no other source. What you want is slow even heat to remove it and pull straight off. Clean up the bamboo with some fine sandpaper (just enough to remove any residue and clean up the inside of ferrule also, using acetone , steel wool and or fine paper.
    All you want to do is remove residue (not wood or metal).

To reinstall my suggestion is to coat the wood end with "JB Weld" and slide the ferrule back on. Wipe any excess off, allow it to dry overnight, and your good to go..............Ed

Tim,
    That rod was built for you by a top builder. I wouldn't try fixing it myself...I would check for someone experienced with "boos to repair it. The guys at Mossy Creek Outfitters may be able to put you onto someone.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

the experts have spoken. heed their advice.
    though the first thing I'd do is heat the ferrule and see if the glue resets it.

then proceed as advised.

I agree with Mr. blur, heat it first and the glue may re-set

Also DO NOT use Super Glue. I have had probs with super glue holding up on solid hard plastic and find that plain old PVC pipe glue works better than Super Glue in many situations. Furthermore it is not designed to be water proof. If you do want to do something like that with fishing gear I would recommend Zap-A-Gap. They are all CA's but I have been told that Zap-A-Gap ca was specifically designed to not be affected by water.

Just fyi

Hey guys, thanks for all the input on this, I'm glad I didn't react right away but waited for ya'lls advice... I may have in my frustrations have messed it up with super glue or something.
    I'm gonna put together an alcohol burner and try and heat it up first, and see if that will reset it. Its not loose like a tooth, I have to put some pressure on it b-4 the clicking noise happens, so I'm thinking it may very well reset its self... If that don't work I'll probably take it to some one else like Mike said, cause I don't have any practice with repairs and I think I would rather have some one do it that has done it alot...

+ Reply to Thread