+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glass - Then and Now

Blog Entries

Default Glass - Then and Now

I have an ancient fiberglass rod that is tough. It even a a few chips out of it. But it is past time for either being rebuilt or replaced. I don't do the former, so it looks like the latter. The reason why I want a fiberglass rod is that the old one wouldn't look twice at being bopped with a beadhead. Are the new fiberglass rods that tough? Will an errant cast with a size 10 beadhead nymph be shrugged off or a shattering experience?

Enquiring minds want to know before blowing the bucks for a new rod.

Thanks,
    Ed

They're still pretty tough albeit lighter and thinner walls than the old '50 blue collar Actionglas or the Ted Williams Sears model. I don't know if a bead head would cause a major problem. I guess if it was flying at mach I it might. They're still a lot tougher than graphite. But all in all, I don't think it would really do that much damage to it. What brand you looking at? Check out South Fork Rod Company- It's Dave Redington's new baby. http://www.southforkrodcompany.com/
    His 'glass is called the Classic. http://www.southforkrodcompany.com/classic_freshwater_rods.html\ All under $300
    "If opera is entertainment, then falling off the roof is transportation".

Not all glass is ALL glass.

While I can't give you a comprehensive list, I do know that many "new" glass rods out there contain graphite for various reasons.

So if ultimate toughness and 100% fiberglass is your desire, do your home work.

Blog Entries

Thanks Guys! I'm going back to the flyshop next week, I hope. I have been looking at several rods and I have made test casts on some of them. Some are so slow that you can take a nap while casting. Some are much faster. I am getting to the point where I am having a hard time justifying another fly rod. But I think that beadhead impact resistance probably counts as justification.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboozle View Post
    Not all glass is ALL glass.

While I can't give you a comprehensive list, I do know that many "new" glass rods out there contain graphite for various reasons.

So if ultimate toughness and 100% fiberglass is your desire, do your home work.
    You must be talkin' about T.L.'s Synergy line.

Quote Originally Posted by EdD View Post
    Thanks Guys! I'm going back to the flyshop next week, I hope. I have been looking at several rods and I have made test casts on some of them. Some are so slow that you can take a nap while casting. Some are much faster. I am getting to the point where I am having a hard time justifying another fly rod. But I think that beadhead impact resistance probably counts as justification.

Ed
    Having a 21st Century fiberglass rod is justification too. What rods are you thinking of?

Normand Guest

hardys new glass rod is 10% carbon fiber

http://fly.hardyfishing.com/en-us/pr...ds/glass-rods/
    Last edited by Normand; 06-13-2009 at 01:20 AM.

Hi Eric;

Why not buy an used rod??

You can almost guarantee it's 100%fiberglass and pick one up for a fraction of new.

What are you looking for?

Wayneb

Blog Entries

I'm looking for a 5-wt or 6-wt rod 7.5 - 8.5 feet long and not as slow as a couple that I've cast. I don't want a fast rod, which is good, but I don't want one that take forever for the backcast to complete. I don't have my list on me, so I'll have to get back to you on the rods.

Thanks,
    Ed

Ed,
    Check out the fiberglass flyrodders ez board web site. A great place for good info on fiberglass flyrods. They also have a classified section where you can get some great old rods at good prices.

Dave

+ Reply to Thread