+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teaching

Default Teaching

I took my son fly fishing for bluegill for the first time yesterday at a local park. This is a old quarry mine in Berea, OH called Coe Lake around 20-30 acres. Most of the lake is shallow 2-8 feet with thick vegetation with some spots getting down to 20-30 feet. The city has built a pier that reachs 200 feet into the water with a nice drop off, from 3 feet to 12 feet or so off south side of it. I love to fish this lake from my canoe and it has nice populations of crappie, bass, catfish and of course blue gill. I did not bring my camera but I will next time and post some pictures of both the fish and the fantastic view.

I have fished with him since he was old enough to hold a rod. I never pushed him into flyfishing. He was always a worm soaker. This year he started to show an instrest in fly fishing and I decided it was the right time. He will be turning 13 in August. After a short time he was able to cast about fifteen feet and hooked into some nice green sunfish. I was able to walk around the lake showing him the nests and explaining to him what was happening. I could not have asked for a better situation to show him what I know of fly fishing for bluegill.

Sounds like a nice place to teach your son to fish. I have a 13 year old son also. Have a good summer!

FO,
    WELCOME! I was born in Berea back in 1946...lived on Clark St & fished Coe Lake as a kid.
    Check out a couple of my posts in "fishing reports" with pics of some nice 'gills.
    BTW, "ohiofly" (aka David Snyder) is a good buddy & lives in Berea....my bet is that you already know Dave.
    Look forward to your posts.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

David;
    Being a "Good Buddy" of ohiotuber is not the best of introductions!! He is a known "Vice Thief" and poacher of Salt Water Blue Gills!! Not to mention that he's Irish!!
    Welcome aboard reguardless and I bet I get a call from Mikey within the next 1/2 hour!!

Hi FO, Welcome to FAOL and the BB here. Thanks for the report. I'm glad your kid wants to get into flyfishing. Take your camera next time. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hise View Post
    David;
    Being a "Good Buddy" of ohiotuber is not the best of introductions!! He is a known "Vice Thief" and poacher of Salt Water Blue Gills!! Not to mention that he's Irish!!
    Welcome aboard reguardless and I bet I get a call from Mikey within the next 1/2 hour!!
    If I hadn't fallen asleep in my recliner, you WOULD have gotten a call you ol' goat!!! That's ok...I'm plannin' on making your life miserable tonight. Bein' a good buddy of mine is a blessing.....Beelzebub/Lucifer/Satan is scared to death of me, & rightly so!!! As my bride Colleen says, I'm her ticket to Heaven.
    Mikey
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Thanks for the welcome. I was born in Parma, OH but moved to Robstown, TX, just outside of Corpus Cristi when I was two. I have lived in Berea now for seven years or so. I have been reading this site for several years and decided it was time to join. I love FOAL.

Hi FishOhio -

And welcome from SE Idaho.

Good to see you join the goings on here on the BB.

Enjoy your stay.

John
    The fish are always right.

FO,

Welcome to the board as well, from the other side of the river. Always nice to have another Ohioan posting. Nothing beats fishing with the kids.

Take care,

Mike

10. Default

Nice job Dad these are the thing he will remember and strengthens a relationship. Keep up the good work.

+ Reply to Thread