+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: container gardening

Normand Guest

Default container gardening

anybody growing tomatoes in a container??

i dont have the room for a garden or even a small one so i bought a 15" diameter pot, some potting soil for vegetables and a tomato plant.

any tips and tricks??

Smile Container gardening

I am gowing two tomato plants in one of those topsy turvy conainers, upside down hanging from the eves on the north side of the house !
    "Tap her light and she'll always be fresh"

My sister in law asked if I wanted a cou;ple of tomato plants so I put soil in three empty pots. She showed up with five tomatoe plants, several tomatillo plants and some cucumber plants. The entire deck is full of pots. I'm hoping they won't all succumb to my famous plant killing skills.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Blog Entries

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"
    Will Rogers

Default container gardening

I have done tomatoes and pepper plants in containers on the back deck for the last several years, and have done well. I use the 18 inch square plastic pots and colored round tomato cages for support. That way, it also looks nice sitting out on the deck. Keep them watered, fertilized, and mulched, and enjoy them at harvest. Sliced tomatoes for lunch on the deck are great.
    CJ

Sorry I can't help. The closest I've come to growing anything is an in-grown toe nail.
    BUT, I do see folks that have great results growing tomatoes etc. in containers on their decks. Looks easy enough even for me to try it..................................someday.

Mark

PS: Good luck with your mini-farm

Smile Container gardening--tomatoes

Hi Normand,
    Ever since we moved to our townhouse 5 years ago we have used containers to grow tomatoes on our patio. We have been successful and usually have about 5 plants going from spring to fall. We get lots of sun and the rains have been plentiful this year so we have not had to do much watering. Last year our biggest producer was the cherry tomato plant. We do use the tomatoe cages to support the plants as they grow larger.

This year we are trying some different varieties but have not had any tomatoes as yet. The weather has been chilly and rainy.
    We have a rabbit who has eaten all of my lemon basil, red tulips and daffodils so we have borrowed a trap to relocate him/her. As far as I can tell, he/she has not invaded the tomatoes yet.
    Gerri

Blog Entries

sister gave us an Earthbox. it's pretty neat, but you do have to water it every day because it's a closed system. it's great because it comes with wheels and built-in trellis so you can move it around the corner behind the garage when the tomatoes are over.
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

Cold Guest

I'm not really sure how deep tomato plants grow, but I know that my dad planted cherry tomatoes a few years back in a bed beside the garage. I think "Sweet 100" was the name of it. As long as it got sun and rain, this thing went insane, producing EASILY 100 cherry tomatoes. It grows long tendrils of buds, and it wasn't uncommon for the plant to have 6-10 of these tendrils, nearly a foot long, with ripe tomatoes at the base, then green ones, then blossoms, then buds...and the end was still unraveling! Fairly simple to raise as well, just staked when tall enough, watered during dry spells, and hit with Miracle Grow every now and then.

Tomatoes love the disgustingly humid weather.

I also just planted tomatoes and grape tomatoes in two Topsy Turvy planters.

They are growing very nicely and I should have tomatoes In a few more weeks.

The dog isn't gonna run over these.

+ Reply to Thread