+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Will it float...

Question Will it float...

SA Redfish mastery Line in Freshwater?

I'm getting conflicting advice...I'd like to get a good saltwater line for my 8wt that i can double use as a bass bug line...more chances in the lake than the Bay ya know...My freshwater WF8 line turns to Linguini in the Panhandle heat so i need something for Red fishys...
    Thanks for the help you Guys

Take a look at what Rio has to offer. They have a lot of alternatives to choose from, and I've not been disappointed with any line I've purchased from them. I am not a saltwater angler (yet), but they seem to have a large selection for that genre.

Good luck.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Thumbs up Thanks KG

Lot of folks been recommending Rio... and I like the idea...problem is no one has mentioned how well (or not how well) a saltwater line will loat in the Fresh.

Orvis, for instance, told me that their Gen3 Redfish line would NOT do well at all in fresh water...others have said differently.

Wish I had every line in every size on every reel...but a brother has got to keep the budget in mind and dual duty is a must for me now...economy and all. But last years experience of having to scrape my 8wt 555 of the deck of the boat and out of my stripper guides while trying to snap a cast of to a tailing red taught me a lesson.

If you want it to float, I would stay away from the SA sharkskin lines. The bonefish lines won't float in the salt (and I presume that would apply to fresh).

Not sure if it will or not, but why don't you get another spool and get two lines, one for fresh, one for salt? Most lines come with stickers noting the line and weight. You can put the appropriate sticker on the spool and that should solve your problem.

Jim

WF-F lines float in water whether its' fresh or salt. Been using a #6 trout line in the salt & a #8 saltwater line for freshwater bass. Doesn't seem to be any difference, except in the salt they seem to float higher, only because of the incoming waves on the beach as they tend to take the waves shape

+ Reply to Thread