+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Another Fly Shop Closing

Default Another Fly Shop Closing

I just received a saddening email from RoundRocks fly fishing in Logan, UT. It seems that this will probabaly be their last season open. They are a victim of the economic conditions and the opening of a local Walmart with a full service fly shop. Please let this be a lesson for all of us to support our shops. Part of our fly fishing tradition is hanging out at the various shops with our friends. I know that I have enjoyed many a moments visiting with people in the shops wherever I travel. Lets' not let this big box trend destroy a very valuable part of our fly fishing history and ritual.

Blog Entries

the Wal*mart will serve your needs for a few months to years, then they will find out that they can make more money on some new trend, then there fly department will get smaller and smaller. soon it will be like all the other wallyworlds with about 4' of wall space for all fly fishing.

Hope your local store finds a way to hold on.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

I agree wholeheartedly hardhat.

Have seen more than a few very good shops go belly up in the last few years.
    A couple were true gathering places for some of the best flyfishermen I've ever had the pleasure to know. Knowledgable and truly entertaining conversations over a cup of coffee or a beer. The latest updates on what was the way to go on our local fisheries.

Another sign of the times, I guess?

Melancholy has invaded my fly fishing world!

Bob
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

If Walmart models the Logan shop after the one here in Idaho Falls, the RoundRocks fly shop should not take them seriously.

Of all places to have a big ZERO for a "fly shop", the one Walmart put in their newer store up here is a complete joke.

If it is the economy, that's something the owners can't do much about. If it is Walmart, they should come up here, have a good laugh, go home and look forward to a bright future in the business.

John
    The fish are always right.

A sad sign of the times. Offhand I've seen about a 14-15 places go out of business. One because the owners retired and one because the owner died but most went down because of big retailers squeezing them out. Keep in mind a fly shop has one type of clientele and nothing really to fall back on and flyfishing isn't really a growth industry now. Same with gunshops and archery shops.Many have gone away as people gravitate towards big retailers Hard to keep in business against huge outfits like Cabelas,Bass Pro & others. One shop went out though it was in a store that sold paddling,hiking and backcamping gear. At on time during the early 90's the place was a goldmine but eventually competition and slower growth spelled it's demise.

+ Reply to Thread