+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carp fishing tips

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

My best fly for carp is a # 10 Clouser Swimming Nympth.

Carp can be caught when they are feeding. the key is your presentation. I've caught carp on dry flies, streamers like woolie buggers, nymphs and even a couple of san juan worms looped together! carp feed in a cone thats about 2 feet long and about 9 inches on either side of their mouth. if you can get your fly in that zone and the carp is feeding you may get the carp to take your fly. another thing to keep in mind is that you need a plan. if you get a carp to take your fly, the carp will run and you will lose. plan so that the fish is doing what you need him to do not the other way around. they are powerful fish that will take ALL of your backing if you are not prepared for their run. i am not ashamed to use 0X tippet when i fish for them. my favorite size hook is #12 or #10. I have used bigger but the profile these flies make are always accepted. always approach a carp area with extreme caution. carp are always on guard. when they are spooked the will flee the area; so walk softly. keep your shadow off the water.

Bill [/IMG]
    Last edited by Bill-B'klyn; 05-29-2009 at 01:38 AM.

As Bill said, stealth and a plan are key. Unless the carp are park pond fish that are used to humans (which you can catch on bread flies!) they spook pretty easily. Heading out to likely water without a fly rod and just watching their habits and noting where they like to feed is a great way to get the feel of a piece of water.

+ Reply to Thread