+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fly Vests, What to get?

Can I interject, .

Hey Olive, What is the advantage of a chest pack over a vest? Other than the vest is hot in the summer sun unless meshed, I can't think of many. Just curious as I don't own one.
    thanks
    Mike

[This message has been edited by Newfoundlander (edited 02 December 2005).]

My first vest was a Columbia mesh that I picked up at a show many years ago for $20.
    Hubby's vest is a khaki cotton that is at leass 30 years old...and looks it.

This year, for birthdays, we "invested" in a pair of Simms Guides. Oh, my...why did we wait so long!

Light, comfortable and with the pockets the right size and in the right place!

3. Default

I made a mistake with my first vest. It was cotton and no mesh. When it got wet (everytime I wore it) it would be a soaking wet rag that would not dry out. So go with mesh and a nonadsorbing material like nylon. So whatever you get, make sure it the pockets drain well and it dries out easily.

I don't use a vest anymore due to weight & "minimalism". I use chest packs in cooler weather & a Columbia fishing shirt & lanyard in warm weather.
    If going with a vest, I would look at the mesh type, & definitely a material such as supplex that dries quickly. Pocket size can be important if you're taking large boxes.
    Mike

------------------
    This site's about sharing!
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

My 0.02$

If you want a vest that holds lots of stuff, ... you should shop around LOTS. A heavy vest MUST fit properly or you'll HATE it.

I use a run of the mill vest marketed under many brands. When I can't leave a kit bag on the beach (exploring runs etc), I'll often use a combat harness. Fits well, well ventilated and carries way too much stuff.

------------------
    Christopher Chin, Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:84c93]Fishing the Ste-Marguerite[/url:84c93]
    Christopher Chin

FrankB, I have that same $15 Wal-Mart vest. Thats why I'm getting a new one though as it's all cotton. Get it wet and you will see what I mean. I went ahead and got the Cabelas Xstream vest. It's currently on sale for $59.00 so I think thats a good deal.

+ Reply to Thread