+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly Vests, What to get?

Default Fly Vests, What to get?

I'm going to purchase a new vest to fish with. I want 1) light weight 2) good quality 3) Holds plenty of stuff 4) mylon or other water resistance outer shell 5) don't want to spend more than $100. Considering the Cabelas X-stream vest. Anybody own this vest? Any recomendations? Any others I should look at?

check out the mcgalloway ll bean vest.
    certainly fits all yer criteria and I consider it to be the best value out there vest-wise.

3. Default

Are you dead- set on a vest? There are a lot of great, functional chest packs out there these days.

I looked at the Orvis, Redington, and Cabelas vests in catalogs. All I was doing was comparing features of all those vests with my $15.00 special I picked up somewhere. My conclusion is that I hope my vest lasts as long as I do. Imho, all the other vest are over-featured. I do not want a cell phone in my vest. I do not need 18 fly boxes. How about listing what you want to take with you and then visiting fly shops and trying on some vests? Good luck. All of this is such good fun.

You can't go wrong with Army/navy surplus. I bought a commando vest there a couple years ago for $40 and love it. It is heavy duty yet lightweight, with plenty of pockets and strapping, plus you can get it cammoflage.

------------------
    Who has time for stress when there are fish to catch.
    Nick
    Your hooks sharp????

I have a short nylon vest made by Columbia. I think it cost me about $45 or so. It has the basic multiple pockets, net hook, etc. I would suggest anything nylon and comfortable. I always buy XL vests even though I am a Large. I can put it on over winter outerwear and when not, its loose comfortable and cooler in the summer. I also like the short versions of a vest for wading. If I had to buy another vest I would buy another Columbia, LL Bean or Cabela nylon vest. I guess they are all reasonably priced and functional and I don't have to remorgage the house to pay for one.

That is my advice.

Dr Bob
    Bob Widmaier

My biggest fear when I die is that my wife will sell my fly fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it!

Orvis Safe Passage best one I've found and only about $50

I always carry too much stuff, I don't plan it that way, it just seems to happen. Two years ago, after an extensive search, I bought a White River vest from Bass Pro. Seems to me it was about $45. Well made, tons of pockets, and after 2 years I still like it.
    AgMD

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

I'm afraid that I may lose my status in the cheap anglers club with this purchase but I bought a top-of-the-line Simms vest last year with my birthday money and really love it. It distributes the weight well, has lots of pockets with great velcro and zipper closurers and rides high enough to allow me to wade deep. I know that I could have gotten a cheaper vest but I tried this one on at my local fly shop and really liked it. Also wanted to support my local shop. Please don't tell Micus. 8T

------------------
    You had better learn to be a happy camper. You only get one try at this campground and it's a real short camping season.

Just in the for what it's worth dept .... I have an Orvis mesh vest, model is currently called the Clearwater [I think it had another name when I bought it], that I bought sometime in the early to mid 80's. Handles a reasonable # of flyboxes and the mesh makes it very, very light. It's $49.00. Let's see - that's 49 devided by 30+ years [vest still going strong] = $1.63 per year and not done yet! Reasonable!!

Donald

+ Reply to Thread