+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: streamer rod length

Tri-co,

You asked 'is a ten foot rod too long?'

No, it's not.

As you can see from the responses so far, it's pretty much a matter of choice.

The 'average' fly rod runs from 7 1/2 to 9 feet long with 9 foot apparently being the prefered length for 'general' fishing of everything (based on rod sales)...shorter and longer rods are generally considered 'special purpose' or 'niche' rods.

If you think you would like a ten foot rod for fishing streamers, for whatever reasons work for you, then you should get one. You'll learn to use it just fine.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Once again my fellow FAOL compatriots have given me sound advice,thanks for your imput,one and all.

I think it depends on what type of streamer fishing you are interested in. Personally I don't "strip" streamers that much except for smallmouth fishing so I use a 10' 6 wt elkhorn. I'll fish streamers much like nymphs....dead drifted close to the bottom and this rod is perfect for this task. If I'm stripping I use my 9' 6 wt scott SAS.

I swing big streamers for Lake Erie Steelhead and use a 9'6" 8wt. The flies are big and so are the fish.

Whatever you decide, make sure you match the rod to the fly weight. Get the flies to where they need to be.

If I were to buy another rod for streamer fishing, it would be a 10', 7wt Sage XP. I am able to use a 10' rod easily where I fish.
    There's no sense in being dumb unless you get to show it off once in a while...

If you do want to use a 10 foot 6 weight, set it up as a switch rod and get double use.

+ Reply to Thread