+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boo number 2

Default Boo number 2

Here are a few pics of my second bamboo rod. It is a 7'-6" 4 wgt built to a Wayne Cattanach taper. Hardware is from Golden Witch with a Birdseye Maple Insert.

The wraps are Pearsal's Gosamer silk in amber with a light olive tipping

The Stripper is a Mildrum SRMC

The finish is Man O War Gloss spar varnish. 2 coats applied by dipping.

I have had this rod out in the yard for some serious test casting and plan on testing it on the trouts soon. It still needs about another week on the varnish cure. So far I love this rod. It casts like a dream and even I can reach out to 60 feet without much trouble.
    Shaky;

Thumbs up Nicely Done

Shaky -

That is one lovely piece of work.

John

P.S. If you need it to be tested on some Idaho trouts, I'll be pleased to do the honors.
    The fish are always right.

I highly recommend dipping a third time.
    I too use man o war and that third dip just makes that finish sing.

That is a gorgeous Boo.

Very nice second rod!

Bob
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

Thumbs up Story Time

Rick -

I trust you won't mind, but this is for those who didn't see this thread the first time around and don't know what you have accomplished in the past year when it comes to building bamboo rods.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...ad.php?t=24147

The two beautiful bamboo rods you have built are one thing - the way they came into being is another thing altogether. Your story truly is amazing, and an inspiration.

John
    The fish are always right.

John;

I don't mind. I am not one to blow my own horn much but appreciate it when someone else does. One of the reasons I post here is to encourage anyone else out there to just jump in and do it. You never know how it will turn out unless you try.

Blur;

I agree. One more coat of varnish might just be the ticket. I must admit I really struggled with the finish on this one. The first try was a total mess with lots of specks and sags. I ended up sanding almost all of it off and starting over. If you would care to share your dip routine I would appreciate it.
    Shaky;

Quote Originally Posted by Shaky Wadr View Post
    I agree. One more coat of varnish might just be the ticket. I must admit I really struggled with the finish on this one. The first try was a total mess with lots of specks and sags. I ended up sanding almost all of it off and starting over. If you would care to share your dip routine I would appreciate it.
    I'm not entirely sure what yer looking for but...

I dip three times w/ a bout a week in between. before dipping I rub it down w/ 0000 steel wool and wipe it down w/ mineral spirits. I use an old click and pawl reel to extract. 8 clicks every minute (I use a timer) = about 1-1/2 inch a minute. when done right into drying cabinet. consider removing blemishes and flaws w/ rubbing compound between each coat or at least after the final one.

it's quite dusty and windy here in az so I tend to dip either very late at night or ear-lie-eee in the morning when there's less dust and wind about.

I think that's about it.

I like the results w/ man-o-war, but it can be tempermental.

lovely rod btw. nicely conceived and executed.
    Last edited by mr. blur; 05-15-2009 at 01:15 AM.

Default Dipping

Thank You Mr. Blur;

It looks like we are doing approximately the same process. Being the slightly anal engineer that I am, I had to go and build a heated dipping/drying cabinet with a motor but thats just me.

My problems seem to be with the varnish itself. I thin the MOW about 20% with turpentine to do the wraps prior to dipping. This mix is only good for a couple of days before it starts to set up. in two weeks it is jello. In the dip tube I use it straight but it will still skin over in 10 days which makes it a PITA. I also notice a difference in the way it flows after just a few days in the tube.

I would appreciate any insight. Or PM me if you care to discuss.

Thanks;
    Shaky;

I will pm you tomorrow morning.

+ Reply to Thread