+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: In Search Of Perfect Cork

Blog Entries

Question In Search Of Perfect Cork

This article is not for the people who build one rod and purchase a $40. super grade pre made grip , such as those offerd by Strubel, Rec or maybe Sage. Instead this is intended for those who build many rods and are constantly challanged to find a superior grade of cork to make their grips.

For years now the grading of cork has been inconsitant, advertised incorrectly , and sold at prices that are becoming outragous. With no offical grading system, sellers of cork rings place their own self interpeted grades on rings and the rodbuilder is at their mercy. Grades such as Flor, Extra select, Grade A, are all bogus terms, which leaves the rodbuilder with receiving inferior grade cork to work with. Paying $3- $4.00 per ring is no insurance that you'll receive top grade cork if you cant handle and inspect it before buying.

As most know wine stoppers, are the biggest demand for cork, as is a few rod companies with massive orders stipulating the best grade of cork. The rodbuilder is left with basically the left overs. This coupled with no offical garding system has allowed companies selling cork rings to sell inferior cork with no policing.

With all that being said , I personally am tired of being ripped off. I like many builders have resorted to using a lot of burl cork rings in stead of using the low gades of natural cork forced upon us. ........Using burl cork can be nice as accents and an occassional full grip,
    but making a super grade natural grip is all but impossible.............This has lead me to search for other alternatives.

Now, one can argue that flaws in cork give it character. On the other hand there is little alternative for those that want a perfect cork grip short of spending mucho bucks or buying a pre-made from the above companies , which leaves the creativity completely out in making you own grips. So, what I'm presenting here is what I consider my alternative to making the "perfect" no flaws natural colored cork grip. Pictured below is a pre-shaped cylinder ready to be shaped into what ever style you want grip. This is pictured next to natural cork rings for what one seller advertised as "extra select".

Notice the massive amount of holes in those rings, which when sanded one can nerver remove without using filler. Filler is just what it is....."Filler". Using cork dust and glue is another method of "hiding flaws", either method for the most part is not permanent and over time reverts back to a lousy grip.

The cylinder you see below was made from 1/4" cork flooring underlay. This is a composite cork! it comes in varied thickness (in this case I used 1/4") each piece has to be glued individualy and then dried. Once sanded (as you can see) , it produces a "totally flawless" grip, whos consitancy and color is almost the same as natural cork. The same things can be acheived , such as adding color burl or craft foam trim rings if so desired and it sands or turns the same.

Weight is all but negligent compared to that of natural cork. And with that in mind that weight is of no real concern placed at the rear of the rod. So what I'm looking for here is opinions. What do you think? Like / Dislike........Have I gone to far in search of?
    Lay it on me............Ed ..... Ps ..I will post the grip finished to shape at a later date.

Default Thanks Smernsky !

You know I'll be checking out the cork flooring underlay now !
    Great idea and one fine handle that will make. I'm tired of AAA,
    Flor Grade, Extra Select that is now junk compared to the cork
    of yesteryear. My last 100 rings I bought, and it's been 15 or
    so years ago, were what I'd call spalted. There were even cork
    crystals or whatever they're called plus larger cavities than I
    would have expected to find in so called 'Flor' cork. Thanks
    again for the 'flooring grade' post !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Blog Entries

Cool

Thanks for your input MM...........Here is a picture of the finished product, compared to another natural grip that I dont consider a bad grip, (the natural cork grip is a tad used ) but you can see the differences in the grain and the lack of flaws. The composite will darken in time just as the natural has done.........Ed

Another Angle of the same grips
    Last edited by ET custom flyrods; 05-10-2009 at 08:00 PM.

There are dealers out there that do sell AAA or Fleur (sp?) grade. Top of the line cork. You deal with a reputable dealer and you get good stuff. Golden Witch, C&D Trading etc. You might have to wait because a lot of the times the good stuff is on back order.
    Personally I'm not a big fan of burnt, burled, bamboo, compressed, composite and all the other "new style" cork. That's one reason I buy the cheapest cork and wrap it in rattan. I like the old style look of rattan and it is a comfortable grip.
    Sometimes it takes a little bit of luck to get some top grade cork if you want to do just a Portuguese cork grip. Ski, I feel your pain.
    "If opera is entertainment, then falling off the roof is transportation".

Default 'Floor' grade cork....

Always welcome Smernsky...ok, couple
    questions....is the compos cork grip in the
    pic the final or will it smooth more with adtl.
    and finer grades of paper. I took my latest one
    down with 600 grit autobody (dry) and i have to
    say, spalted or not, it looks good and is dang near as smooth as glass. Maybe too smooth.

Second question, what is that cool looking item
    hangin' out the back of the reg. cork grip, some kind of rubber baby buggy bumper/rod but protector? Not seen one of those ever that I can remember...usually they're flat.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

purty darned cool and great thinking outside the box.
    that said I prefer the "regular" looking grip.

and yes good cork rings are out there, you've just gotta scramble around a bit to find them. my last couple batches of 1/4"' rings have been superb.

a couple of recently turned grips...
    Last edited by mr. blur; 05-11-2009 at 12:23 AM.

Blog Entries

Talking

MM.........the composite grip with final shaping was only taken down with 200 grit. It is pretty darn smooth, but the "final final" could be taken down even more with a finer grit such as 600 and it would be like glass. I dont like slippery grips an is why I never use a wood grip.
    The "rubber baby buggy bumper" is actually a little leg off an old piece of electronic gear. You know the kind that has 4 little rubber bumpers on the bottom?.........I drilled the end cap on the real seat and inserted it. It serves well in keeping the butt from getting all boggered up from guys like me who sit the butt of the rod on the ground to thread the rod or sometimes submerge it in a creek with a rock bottom...........just another piece of my "imaginering"........LOL.........Ed
    Last edited by ET custom flyrods; 05-11-2009 at 12:25 AM.

There IS a cork grading system available, the vendors choose not to use it. The reason is exactly as you pointed out ... zero accountability, beyond their own "marketing terms".

I currently pay around $2.00-$2.25 per ring (1.25" OD x 0.5" W) for really good cork - CG1+. However, I buy it in 500 piece lots. The trick is making a large purchase AND waiting in line with cash in hand.

You can find some pretty nice composites on the market ... just look around. Everything from faux natural cork to solid burnt cork.

BTW, the new cork flooring squares (surface material) make a pretty sporty looking grip. They are available in a whole slew of tones and patterns. They are incredibly consistent with yet a very natural look.

Yet another recent twist are the carbon fiber grips. Much lighter than cork, no limits to shaping AND less expensive than almost any grade of cork.

Blog Entries

To me it looks like press board, but then again if we all had the same taste in rods or other things life would be very boring.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Default Wow, look at all the neat stuff ... ! !

Smern, my recent grip that I took down to
    600 is a little slick, but then I don't put sealer
    on my grips. If it's too slick I'll just go back over
    it with 400 or 320 if need be but it feels nice
    and 'grippy'.

Quote Originally Posted by Smernsky View Post
    MM.........the composite grip with final shaping was only taken down with 200 grit. It is pretty darn smooth, but the "final final" could be taken down even more with a finer grit such as 600 and it would be like glass. I dont like slippery grips an is why I never use a wood grip.
    The "rubber baby buggy bumper" is actually a little leg off an old piece of electronic gear. You know the kind that has 4 little rubber bumpers on the bottom?.........I drilled the end cap on the real seat and inserted it. It serves well in keeping the butt from getting all boggered up from guys like me who sit the butt of the rod on the ground to thread the rod or sometimes submerge it in a creek with a rock bottom...........just another piece of my "imaginering"........LOL.........Ed
    Oh, neat idea with the 'electronic' feet and the drilling of the plug. Gives a very clean and pro
    sorta look. I like it ! Thanks for the comeback
    Smernsky.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

+ Reply to Thread