+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snake VS. single foot guides.

Default Snake VS. single foot guides.

What are the advantages or disadvantages to both? Or, what makes one better than the other?

Default Single double debate...

Hello 13111, I wonder if you're asking from a rod building perspective
    or from a user's point of view ?

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

User's. Its more out of curiosity

Default Oh, ok...

....well to me it seems like double foot are better and you'll hear
    pros and cons on that...they say if one wants to slow a rod down some,
    single foot guides will do it...they sure look 'cleaner' on the same blank
    that comes factory with regular snakes.

Conversely, a factory rod with singles could conceivably be made a little
    'faster' by putting doubles on instead. Again all debateable and I know
    once they're out of bed the builders will add to this terry13111 !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose
    Last edited by MontanaMoose; 05-07-2009 at 06:12 PM.

Blog Entries

Cool

I'd love to attack this one LOL... but,......... let me just say singles look great on spinnin' rods.
    Last edited by ET custom flyrods; 05-07-2009 at 06:02 PM.

From a mechanical POV, snake guides allow the end of the leader/beginning of the line and the end of the line/beginning of the backing to go through smoother than with regular rings. Regular rings are designed to allow mono/braided line to flow through with minimal fuss, but make it harder for knots to go through.

Jim

Disclaimers first...1) I build my own rods, but I'm miles away from being an authority...2) I love to flyfish, but I'm also miles away from being an authority.

So with a grain of salt, I'll say that unless you are capable of riding the fine, far edge of your equipments capabilities, you will probably never notice a real difference in performance between the two. I use both, and it boils down to the aesthetics of the rod I'm building at the time.

Of course, if you put single foot guides on bamboo, you are probably a dangerous, kitten-kickin' commie. I'm just sayin'.
    The most valuable thing I've learned about fly fishing is just how little I really know.

"With integrity, nothing else matters. Without integrity, nothing else matters." ~ Winston Churchill

I read this someplace but cannot remember where:

Rod flexes less in the space between wraps on double footed guides then the rest of the rod. Sigle foot gudies allow the blank to flex almost unimpeded.This could be a good thing or bad think depending on the design and use of the rod so it's more of the builder\designer thing - but really personally I think the difference is minimal. To me single foot gudies are just more esteticlally pleasing...
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

Single foots cause the rod to be somewhat lighter. Although both weigh about the same singles only require 1/2 the thread and finish.
    In my rod building days I used both. I found singles to be harder to wrap. And (perhaps mistakenly) singles did not "look" quite as substantial. As time passed I decided I liked to look and the traditional double foot snake. All of my recent acquisitions have had double foot snakes.

Red face

All the pros and cons mentioned above by others plus some users prefer snake guides as the are less likely to be bent while bushwacking. LAlso like others, i find little difference in everyday performance. As a hobbist rod builder, I use single foot guides on most rods in the 2 - 6 wt range and snake guides on higher weight rods as they are geared to larger fish and tougher treatment.

Dr Bob

+ Reply to Thread