+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Son WANTED to go fishing again!

Default Son WANTED to go fishing again!

My son really wanted to go fishing after his baseball game last night. What could I say?
    So, we left his ultralight rod in the car, and I took 2 fly rods. One of them we didn't use. The other one, I would cast it out where the fish were, and then Carson would work the fly in, set the hook, and bring the fish in. We fished for an hour until it got too dark.
    It was a nearly steady mantra of me saying over and over,"Keep your rod tip down" and "Keep the fly moving steady" and "Watch the end of the fly line, if it stops or moves away from you, set the hook". He missed a lot of fish, but caught at least 10 crappies. I added a dozen crappies and a couple of bluegills when he decided I should catch some fish too.

This isn't one of the bigger crappies, but they were all fairly small. PERFECT for taking a kid fishing!

Oh...and his birthday is in about 4 more days. He doesn't know it yet, but I ordered him a Cabela's fly rod combo for $40, so he can start learning how to cast!

Sunday evening I fished the same pond, and there were about 8 other people fishing there...a couple of adults, and the rest were kids. Nobody was catching anything, so I started catching crappies right away. Kids all around the pond were yelling, "Hey, he's got another one!" Two kids came over and stood by me, which makes casting more interesting. They asked all kinds of questions about the fly-fishing gear, where they could get some, how much it costs, what kind of lure (fly), where did I get it... The water was really clear, which is rare for that pond, and the kids could watch the fly coming in under the surface, and fish coming up and hitting it. I let them hold some of the fish I took off the hook, and they released them gently. Pretty fun!
    Last edited by FishnDave; 05-05-2009 at 02:03 PM.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Perfect! Nothing could be better.

Greg

Here's one of the 7 bluegills I caught during lunch today on a mohair leech fly. Who say's bluegills aren't pretty?

David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Nice bluegill and great story!

Dave -

Sounds like you are really in your element with kids ( yours and others ) and gills.

Wondering who will have more fun when your boy gets his own fly rod ??

John
    The fish are always right.

My son's Birthday was Saturday. He said the fly rod was his 2nd favorite present. (His first favorite being a cell phone, of course) .

He got some casting instructions from me in our back yard over the weekend, and one of the neighbor girls was also interested and gave it a shot for awhile. I'm not the best caster, and probably not the best instructor (I've never had a casting lesson), so I just gave the best advice I could, and tried to explain the "why's and wherefore's", so hopefully the whole thing makes sense. In the end, he's gonna have to find his own "rhythm", I suppose. We'll have to get his new gear out and baptize it on some fish!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Awesome post(s) and info Dave!

Glad to see another new fisherman, whether he use flies or not!!

Pretty fishes too!
    Don Rolfson

+ Reply to Thread