+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Balanced Rod

Default Balanced Rod

How do you know if your rod is balanced and why is it important to have a balanced rod? Where on the grip should the rod be balanced? My rod and reel seem to be balaning just off the end of the cork. Is that to far forward? Thanks

------------------
    [url=http://dryfly.argodesignstudio.com:7a8a1]http://dryfly.argodesignstudio.com[/url:7a8a1]

7star;
    I like them to balance on my index finger where I normaly grip the rod. a top heavy rod wear's me out fast. You're not too bad and if you want to move it back some try adding more backing, it possible.

I am sure you can find lots of written information on fly rod balance and you will get some good advice here. There is also some great information on balancing your rod in RodMaker magazine. I like my rods just slightly tip heavy as it sounds like you rod is. I just find this to be a more comfortable feel for my casting style. I would suggest that your rod should not be overly tip or butt heavy, otherwise, it is up to you. I feel it is more a feel and not an exact science and I'm a scientist.

Oh well, my 2 cents.

Dr Bob
    Bob Widmaier

My biggest fear when I die is that my wife will sell my fly fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it!

7*, I assume you got your 7/11. Did you get a warrenty card? What line did you end up buying?
    The balance point will change with line on the reel and when line is strung through the guides and will change the more line you have out of the tip. Unless the rod/reel is noticeably uncomfortable to cast I wouldn't worry about it.

I gotta start reading this stuff before I hit the button

[This message has been edited by Buzz (edited 01 December 2005).]

Thanks for the info....

Buzz-
    Got the rod this afternoon. I'm really itching to try it out. I totally forgot that the line would add a bit more weight. duh!I still haven't bought line for it but I'm thinking I might get the 444 peach (everyone seems to love it) or go with the wonderline either way in a DT. I have a AJ Forbes Magnesium reel on it now but if it doesn't feel right I may get a battenkill. I figure is I'm going to go with Orvis I might as well go all the way... that way it will all match up well as far as performance.
    Bummer, no warrenty card. This rod is brand new though. If I have a problem maybe Orvis will help me out. Hopefully I won't need to find out.
    Thanks for all the help. Take care

------------------
    [url=http://dryfly.argodesignstudio.com:2e11c]http://dryfly.argodesignstudio.com[/url:2e11c]

The Battenkill Barstock reels are very light. I have a few and I really like them. And the price on them just went down. Check them out on their website.

I just cannot stand it so here goes.
    When we assembled some of our earlier rods and we were more annual (Or is it anal? Can't ever remember. ), we used to mount the reel we would generally use to the rod and shape the foregrip for balance accordingly.
    Somewhere logic settled in to our old EYEtalian noggin that, the ONLY time your rod is in balance (very much mostly) is while it is hanging on the wall......during use it is hardly EVER in balance. Especially while pulling on some piscatorial partner....and THAT is what we spend soooo much time, money, energy, and thought trying to achieve.
    No finer form of insanity.......
    ....lee s.

For me, I first take hold of the grip in the most comfortable place. If the full weight of the rod balances somewhere between my index finger and the hook keeper, I consider it balanced (enough). When it gets down to brass tacks, the best balance is the one that lets you cast the longest with the least fatigue. Sooo, that's your call. I know this isn't much help, but it's what I use.

------------------
    Life, is the time He gave you to determine where you want to spend eternity.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

When a rod/reel combination is NOT ballanced it feels it. I figure, if the combination does not have that unballanced feel, that may be good enough. Although locating the ballance point at some spot relative the grip, may be a good indicator for a starting point, true evaluation can only be made when casting.
    AgMD

+ Reply to Thread