+ Reply to Thread

Thread: crystal river cahill fly rod

Default crystal river cahill fly rod

I bought 6 of these on ebay for 118 canadain dollars, considering walmarts price is 49 and tax here on the island, no matter how bad a rod I got a great deal .
    I know, I know it's probably not the cream of the crop, but does anyone use one as they haven't arrived yet, and I'm really curious.
    They are 9 ft 5 weights.
    PS - that included shipping,
    thanks
    Mike

[This message has been edited by Newfoundlander (edited 01 December 2005).]

I had one prior to the name change to Cahill. It was a 6wt 9' rod. I used it mostly for lawn casting, and learning. At the time it had a crystal river line on it as well. That didnt last me to long, I moved on to better rods. If your looking for a cheap rod to teach with, its ok. A bit too heavy for my taste. My only suggestion is get decent lines to go with them, the Crystal river brand lines are no good.

[This message has been edited by Tim S (edited 01 December 2005).]

Well I bought 6 so I could sell 4 at a marginal profit just enough to give me the 2 others for free. They seem flimsy when I tested them at walmart meaning they flexed almost all the way to the base which strangley enough is what I am looking for.
    Its just for trouting (trout in the 7 to 14 inch range). They seem like a really slow action rod, but I couldn't cast them at walmart just shake them around, .
    I'm really looking forward to casting one , my other rods are fast action rods and much stiffer not a mid or full flex.
    I'm thinking they are built well enough to handle fish in this size and range.
    I can't wait.
    thanks
    Mike

Anyone else ever cast this rod?
    thanks
    Mike

I've owned a Crystal River Cahill for a number of years. It's an 8' (I think) 5-6wt that I use with a 5wt forward line.

I bought it after watching an older gentleman lay out a beautiful line on my local lagoon (Jackson Park on the southside of Chicago). He gave me a chance to test it out, and I certainly couldn't find anything wrong with it for (then) $39. I use it with a Battenkill and a Wonderline.

Good back up rod. Can certainly make the casts needed to catch trout in all but the biggest rivers.

A few years ago, it got excellent ratings in side by side tests of fly rods by one of the major ff mags.

-Steven

Hey Newfoundlander, I have the exact same crystal river as Steven and have the exact same thoughts about the rod. Even if I'v heard and read that you can cast the whole line with a broom stick, I agree with Steven in that on the larger rivers I can't seem to get the distance with it, but, have no problems on the smaller rivers and presentation of a fly, I like the rod.Oh def. get a better line, I did not like the crystal river line. I use cortland 444 wf6wt on mine.

------------------
    Spelling and Grammar not subject to judgement...
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

Thank you so much gents. I could only find one review on the net, it wasn't very detailed but the guys comments were something like this, " the guide I was with could not beleive how well this rod performed for the price" something to that degree anyway. Nice to get a review of the rods from members I can trust.
    Again thanks
    later
    MIke

[This message has been edited by Newfoundlander (edited 02 December 2005).]

Mike
    I bought one of those Crystal River Cahill 8ft 5/6 wts a few years ago. When my wife fishes that is the rod she wants to use-- so I replaced the hardware and handle for her last year. It's a nice rod.

John

Hey, thanks a bunch.
    later
    Mike

The rod I got from Walmart wasn't a Crystal River brand, I can't remember what it was. It was an 8'6", 3 pc., 5/6 wt. Anyway, it was pretty hard to learn to cast on. It seemed to be pretty rigid but vibrated on the forward cast something awful. It was so bad the top section would fall off after an hour or so. There I'd be, casting along with my woolly worm on a 3x tippet getting into the bluegills and, "zzzzZZZINNNGGG splashhh!" There'd go the old rod section. I actually caught a gill while reassembling it once. Talk about JUNK!

I did learn to cast better after getting a 7'6" 4/5 wt slow action graphite Garcia circa 1975 from my Aunt. Best rod for this beginner.

------------------
    There's almost nothin' wrong with the first lie, it's the weight of all the others holdin' it up that gets ya'! - Tim

[This message has been edited by MOturkE (edited 02 December 2005).]
    Jesus still hangs out with fishermen.

+ Reply to Thread