+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PVC Fly Rod Case

Default pvc case

I have made many cases also. I never liked the screw on caps. I feel they are too bulky, but checking them for a flight can be unpleasant. I had a cap come off and my 2wt was flopping around half way out on the baggage roundabout. I now use duct tape to travel.
    I also use the foam craft sheets to pad the inside ends of the caps. I drill a hole a couple of inches down the tube and the center of the cap to accomodate some knotted nylon twine to keep the two from being separated too far. The twine holes will also allow some venting if moisture is on the rod.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

I use internal thread plugs, the kind with a square protrubrance to grasp, I think they are smaller than the external thread caps. I then attach it with wire to the case so I cant loose it. I drill holes in both end caps to allow air circulation, I would hate to have to scrub mildew off my rods.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

They have that new Krylon spray paint that is meant for plastic, I'm wondering if that would work well on PVC?

Krylon Indoor/Outdoor Paint works well and, as Clay said, they have a new paint. The new one is supposed to be made for plastics like PVC. It's called Fusion:

http://www.krylon.com/products/

I think the best end cap (at least for one end) for the PVC tube is a plastic test cap. They are cheap, and add nothing to the diameter. They take up only about 1/2 inch to the length inside. You can get them anywhere PVC pipe is sold and they are called "PVC Pipe Test Caps."

Had to google that one , fisherjoe....looks like a good suggestion.

I'd never heard or seen a test cap either. Looks like another great alternative. I'll have to look for some next time. That's the fun part of the project, finding just the right parts. One more tip, when you go to the hardware store to look for just those right parts, don't take your wife/girlfriend along. They don't seem to enjoy spending a half hour looking at bin after bin. Don't ask me how I know, I just do.

One second lesson to pass along, if your sawmanship leaves something to be desired (like mine does), no sweat. The outside fitting caps and connections covers up all the lousy, sloppy cuts.
    Last edited by pszy22; 04-28-2009 at 11:32 AM.
    "People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" -
    John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo

http://www.tenkaraflyfish.blogspot.com/

I finished a PVC tube last year. Gave it a light sanding with something like 220 sandpaper just to take the smooth off. I then use the "Plastic" spray paint. Added a couple fly shop stickers. It looks nicer than the ugly black. I have another one to do now.
    ----------------
    Wayne
    Trout, Bass, Carp, Whatever!
    http://flynut.wordpress.com

Default A little variation of the topic

Here is a way to carry an extra rod tip if you have one...first picture...also notice the end is adapted to take a pvc extension...[second picture] allowing me to carry a protected...fully rigged , full length rod and reel....must admit I seldom do it...figured out a better way.

I've been making these rod and reel tubes for years. I use green or grey pvc upholstery fabric tubes. What they use to roll fabric on to. They are equivalent to sched 20 and are 54 to 60 inches long.
    I cut the tube in half about 4 to 6 inches on one end and saw half of that off to make the reel end.
    I line the inside of the tube with light weight nylon fabric, like ripstop tent cloth, and use close cell foam in the tip end. I then sew a cordura sock with a zippered reel pocket and slide it on to be sure it fits. If it's right, I spray some fabric glue on the tip end of the tube, pull the cloth over the pvc to just before the end, then spray glue on the end and finish by pulling the reel pocket over the end.
    If you sew they are easy. I also make just the tubes and cover them and carry the reels in a pouch made from 3 or 4 inch pvc cut 2 inches long.
    Oh yeah, I'm a retired upholsterer and canvas fabricator. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Jimsnarocks:
    Could you post some pictures of your rod holders?

Roy

+ Reply to Thread