+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Casting lessons?

Default Casting lessons?

Are they really helpful? What say you? Thanks...
    Gary

NRA
    SCI

2. Default Absolutely!!

When you think you know it, you don't. I try to get some 'professional' help at regular intervals. We sometimes develop muscle memory & can't understand why things don't go as planned. Try going to a conclave where a casting instructor is teaching to a group.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Thumbs up Definitely worthwhile!

I can't recommend lessons strongly enough. This is especially true if you're having casting problems. A skilled teacher can detect the reason for your problems very fast and help you correct them. A really good teacher can imitate the cause of your casting problem and then show you the correct movement to fix things. Many fly shops even give free casting lessons or tune-ups. Go for the lessons. It will make a big difference. 8T

I have been taking lessons/working with a Master Instructor in an effort to get certified.

In addition to him helping me with my casting, I have also learned to analyze my own cast and determine what I am doing wrong just by looking at the cast and how the line ends up on the water.

Usually - in California at least - the lessons seem to run around $50 for an hour. I think they are well worth it. You can also muddle your way through it.

Just by posting the questions suggests at least that you are unhappy with some aspect of your cast and want to improve. Sometimes you need someone else looking at your technique.

Cool More help...

If you can get a friend to film you as you cast you can often 'see' the mistakes for yourself. The problem is you need to know what it is your are looking for. You can't fix a problem if you don't know what it is. Group lessons are fine, one-on-one instruction is the best.

Blog Entries

An hours lesson will save you a lifetime of frustration on the water. I tell everyone who is starting out to get a lesson on the basics. it makes all the difference.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

I know it's a lot to suggest,,, but nearly all of my columns are about casting. Well, even the one called, 'How to cast'.

Quote Originally Posted by J Castwell View Post
    I know it's a lot to suggest,,, but nearly all of my columns are about casting. Well, even the one called, 'How to cast'.
    Is that why they call you that?

Quote Originally Posted by 10ae1203 View Post
    Is that why they call you that?
    Assuming that is not a tongue in cheek question...take a look at the film clip at the bottom of his column this week ...and other weeks.

Actually, I was once the casting writer for a very large group. Because there seem to be a few too many 'experts' in the casting instruction field at that time, I stole the name in humor from a real writer from years ago. It was one of his characters, I just tried to flesh him out a little. I have been fortunate though as nearly really good casting instructor has taken pity on me and tried to teach me all they know about teaching. I guess a bit of it stuck.
    I have thusly picked up the nickname /appellation of 'JC' which was unintended. To that end we did lose an epescipalian priest who just could not get used calling me JC.

+ Reply to Thread