+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fly Fishing 1st for Me- Now I'm hooked

Default Fly Fishing 1st for Me- Now I'm hooked

Thought I would change the suject a bit..LOL.
    This past week I was able to do something exciting. I caught some nice trout on Flies I had tied. I was a rewarding time. I have been fishing for near 45 years and have caught much larger and more fish in many places but this was an awesome expierience. I am truley hooked. I am learning at this point by trying to follow Al Campbells directions and in no way would I consider by flies good but the trout didn't care they ate them anyway. I did best on a size 18 green scud. Now I want to get better at tying.
    Does anyone out their from central PA know of any fly tying courses being taught this winter. I would like to get signed up as it is tough sometimes when I just can't get something right and I really don't have anyone to show me. I think a class would be a big help.

Bill from PA

Bill:

I'd try calling Cold Spring Anglers or Yellow Breeches Outfitters and ask them what they know. Cold Spring Anglers is offering a beginners class starting in January:
    [url=http://www.coldspringanglers.com/webpages/scls_fly_tying_101.htm:cf854]http://www.coldspringanglers.com/webpages/scls_fly_tying_101.htm[/url:cf854]

Also look up Tom Baltz, he's a really good tyer and from the area.

Finally you might contact Cumberland Valley TU. They might have what you're looking for too.

Cold Spring Anglers 717-245-2646
    Yellow Breeches Outfitters 717-258-6752
    Tom Baltz (Angling Adventures) 717-486-7438

Good luck!

[This message has been edited by Bamboozle (edited 01 December 2005).]

Bam

Thanks for the info. I talked with Herb at Cold Springs last week. They are not totally sure they are having the beginners class. If they do I will probably be in it. I really like the folks there and it is close to my office. Will look into your other suggestions also. Thanks

Bill

JC
    Been really looking at the swaps but not sure I am "ready". Would not not to send out poor quality stuff. Hopefully some more beginners swaps will come up.
    Thanks
    Bill

I agree with Tyflier. I have learned more by watching skilled tiers than anywhere else. Once you learn the basic techniques for getting things onto the hook it just comes down to style and practice.

Here are two pieces of advice, though. The first is to always tie at least a dozen (more is better) of whatever pattern you are working on. If you tie one or two, then move on and try something else you will improve much more slowly. I know that's difficult at first because you want to try new patterns, but the benefits will be tremendous. The second tip is to think sparse. Fewer thread wraps, thinner body, tighter and neater head, etc. Once you get a particular pattern down cold try to tie it with fewer and fewer thread wraps. I think correct proportions are the single most important thing in flytying. Look at the proportions from the old catskill tiers to see what I mean.

Oh, here's one more thing. Always remember that at least 90% of tying flies is opinion, or at best a guideline. Stick to the instructions at first, but if you like longer or shorter tails, wings, hackle, or whatever that's what you should tie. Experiment! It's only wrong if you didn't mean to do it!

Good luck, and have fun!
    JeremyH

[This message has been edited by JeremyH (edited 01 December 2005).]

Pa,
    I'm from south central Pa. If you live close to Pottsville, I know a very good course that runs all winter. I've never been to it. but I know several of the instructors. Throw me an e-mail if you're interested.
    chinook61@epix.net

Bill -

Although it's a bit of a drive for you, I believe the Evening Rise fly shop in Lancaster has beginners and intermediate tying courses (may even be on Saturday mornings) in the winter.

If you'd be interested and need their telephone number, I can get it for you.

John

E.Hillie, In S.Williamsport Has tying classes.
    [url=http://www.anglersupplyhouse.com/shop/:c8e4e]http://www.anglersupplyhouse.com/shop/[/url:c8e4e]

As does Flyfishers Paradise in State Collage PA..depending on where in Central PA...I'm in Beaver Springs...OK..Your nearer Harrisburg....so Cold Springs would be the closet...If you were closer..I'd just give you some pointers...would save you time and prolly money..I do believe Hillies classes are free, But not positive on this..As I've never taken a class...The swaps are a great way of seeing what others are doing..and practiceing with pourpose!....knowing your tying for others helps with certian asspects...

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

Everyone wants to excel in this sport but at the same time we let traditionalists place restrictions on our tactics, methods, and ideas. I always assumed that fly fishing was a sport that allowed imagination, creation, adaptation, investigation, dedication, education, revelation? : Fox Statler, On Spinners (Not the dainty Dry Fly kind) "Spinner'd Minner Fly"

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill

[This message has been edited by billknepp (edited 02 December 2005).]

[This message has been edited by billknepp (edited 02 December 2005).]
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

+ Reply to Thread