+ Reply to Thread

Thread: RMNP Cabins?

Default RMNP Cabins?

My wife and I are planning this summers vacation, and would like to spend a week or so at Rocky Mountain National Park. We have been there twice before, once staying in a motel in Estes Park, and once camping in the park. We have always noticed the nice little cabins along the rivers and just outside the park as we drove around and always thought that that would be a neat way to vacation there. Anybody have any experience with any of them, or have any recommendations for a good one? I plan to fish. She likes to paint watercolors and read good books. We both enjoy hiking in the park - it's a beautiful place to see. Thanks for the input.
    CJ

Good morning from the Rockies.

I would suggest you Google the cabins in Estes Park. The cabins, as far as I know, in the National Park are private and are not rented.

If you have a travel trailer, I would suggest Spruce Lake Campground in Estes. My wife and I stay there a few times a year.

When you are ready to head out here, let me know and I can give you an update on the fishing conditions inside the Park, where I guide, and some waters outside the Park that are close enough to fish.

------------------
    Ken

"The memory of a fisherman is more like fiction than journalism, that is, it doesn't ignore the facts, but it is not entirely bound by them, either."

John Gierach

I would also suggest searching the national forest websites. My wife and I stayed at a NF cabin 8 miles west of Yellowstone NP for around 30 bucks a night. Primitive, but warm.

------------------
    See you in the hills

Are you talking about the cabins along the Big Thompson just east of Estes Park? There is some good flyfishing to be had on that river year-round. Those cabins are privately owned. There are also some really nice ones on Fall River between Estes Park and the park. I would do a web search using cabin fall river big thompson flyfsihing in it and see what comes up. You could also contact Great Western Flyfishing in Loveland they could give you a lead.

-John

[This message has been edited by ktokj (edited 30 November 2005).]

Try the Chamber of Commerce in Estes, or do a Google search. There are many, many cabin rentals along the river there, but they're not inexpensive, esp in the summer high season.

You might also look into places to stay in Grand Lake, on the west side of the park. Not as "artsy" as Estes, but your wife can walk to anything in town from wherever you stay, which she can't do from most places on Fall River. Also the fishing's better on the west side, with several rivers and lakes within an hour's drive. And fewer people.

------------------
    Idlerick

If you're looking for more of a hotel/condo, we've been there twice and stayed at two places. Evergreens on Fall River and River Stone. Both are about 5 minutes from the Entrance to RMNP. Both were nice, both on the river where you could basically walk down and fish. I caught fish at each place, although that's not where most of the fishing was done.

I would probably recommend River Stone over Evergreens, although it's a bit more expensive. Rooms were a bit nicer, and there was more space. You can't go wrong with the location of either facility.

Good luck with your choice and enjoy. I LOVE it out there, and would go every year if the wife would let me.

We go every year and this is the only place we stay. [url=http://www.rockmountcottages.com/:86fce]http://www.rockmountcottages.com/[/url:86fce]
    Very clean. Right on the river, 1-2 miles from the park enterance. They have everything you need, full size refrigerator, fire places, stove, plates, silverware, glasses, pots pans, etc. Fully furnished. We usualy buy our food at the local grocery store, cook all meals right there at the cabin and enjoy the sounds of river flowing by. You will not be dissapointed. A little more than a hotel...but worth every penny. Book early as they fill up in the summer.

Look at the site map and select one by the river. If it's just the two of you. The Columbine cabin is cute and reasonable. The Rocky Ridge is our favorite but $$$.

Hope this helps,

------------------
    John G.
    Albuquerque, NM

[This message has been edited by Fishnfool (edited 30 November 2005).]

2 years ago I stayed at a place I found on the internet. It is older but nice & clean cabins for about $70 a night. 10 miles so of Estes Park. Sunshine Mountain Inn was the name. The lady that runs it also includes a breakfast with it. Rick

You might look into the Allenspark area if you want beauty and peace and quiet. That is, it was quiet 30 years ago - times do change, they tell me. Anyway, there is some fishing in that area of the park, more lake than stream.

Thanks, guys. We have a book that lists a lot of places in Estes Park, but I was looking for some experiences to help narrow things down. Your input is greatly appreciated. I now have a couple of other ideas to look into too. Thanks again.
    CJ

+ Reply to Thread