+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low Top Wading Shoes for wet wading?

Default Low Top Wading Shoes for wet wading?

Hello,
    I've been thinking of getting some wading shoes with low tops, as compared to boots or sandals, to use for wet wading in the summer.
    - I don't like the thought of sandals, as it seems it would be too easy for sand and gravel to get inside
    - Some of the low top wading shoes look like a good thing, but I haven't seen any yet with sticky rubber soles with studs (like StreamTread, AquaStealth, or other brand).
    - I checked out a pair of Korker Torrent shoes today, but really don't care for the removable soles to be honest. They just don't seem like a very sturdy, secure sole setup to me.
    - Simms has a low top "wading" shoe called the Pursuit Shoe which look nice. They look like they would be good on the trail, but am not sure how well these grip on slippery rocks in the river. They have a sole called RiverTread, but I wish they had the StreamTread sole which will accept carbide studded screws.

Does anyone have any experience with the Simms Pursuit Shoe, or know of any other good alternatives?

Thanks for any feedback from anyone who has already been through this search!

Tom

Leo,

I did a review of the Korkers here on FAOL. after 3 years they are still running strong. No loose soles ever. I also have the Korker sandels, I find that they do gather sand/rocks. But all that is needed is to lift your foot up in the running water to wash it out.

I do alot of "wet" wading, and find these products work very well.

Z

Teva makes closed toe wading sandals. I believe you have to look at their sole classifications. Spider rubber is one that is sticky, but I think their stickiest is SST.

I got a pair of Salomon water shoes with "kind of" sticky soles. They work for shallow wading on gravel and are very comfortable. Merrel makes a stickier sole for wading but you have to wash those shoes often as they stink after one trip to the river!
    I think, therefore I fish.

I can tell you first hand sandals are not the way to go. My wife has bought me a couple pairs of Merril sandals, and all they do is collect gravel and sand. I've tried to wear them loosely, which allows me to rinse the sand out by lifting my foot, but the result is that they are pretty uncomfortable to walk with.

Thumbs up Tevas

LeoCreek -

I haven't wet waded in sandals much, but that has been more the result of water temps than getting sand or gravel or anything else in them. I have waded in Tevas and found them quite comfortable when the water temps were up a bit.

The trick with sandals is to wear sandals without toes or heals or sides and to wear them loose, with no socks, so when something does get in them you can just raise your foot and give it a bit of a shake so the "stuff" can come out. If you wear them snug, there is no way anything can come free unless you stop and take them off to clear it. Socks cause the same problem - holding material that you don't want held.

My suggestions for sandals come from hiking extensively for a couple years in all kinds of terrain, from the desert to high mountains landscapes, in Tevas, more than wet wading - but the times I have wet waded, the same principles worked nicely.

If you get the sandals a bit longer than your normal shoe size, but still short enough to properly strap up, you don't have to worry about stubbing your toes. If you are strapped in properly ( and loosely ), it's almost impossible to hit your toes on anything, unless you slide the front of the sole under something.

John
    The fish are always right.

always wanted a pair of these, but never pulled the trigger. i like the neoprene sock idea: http://www.orvis.com/store/productch...subcat_id=6047.

looks like they also offer a pair of sandals.

I can tell you first hand sandals are not the way to go. My wife has bought me a couple pairs of Merril sandals, and all they do is collect gravel and sand. I've tried to wear them loosely, which allows me to rinse the sand out by lifting my foot, but the result is that they are pretty uncomfortable to walk with.
    I couldn't disagree with this more. And that fact that I vehemently disagree w this thought, just goes to show it is truly a personal preference. I have used the Simms Keen River Sandal for a few seasons now, with particularly long hikes deep into the Yellowstone backcountry with just these puppies on and a pair of light neo socks. I've spent long days on the water with them, and had to hike out over 7-8 miles with wet feet and haven't even blistered once. They are incredibly comfortable both in and out of the water, and I'd venture to say even as comfortable as my hiking shoes...I've just started to only bring these, even for long day hikes. And if you look at the picture, there are so many great places to cinch the sandal onto your feets pressure points, that there hasn't been much debris working its way in....just a bit of sand from time to time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

What about Korker's Torrent?

Randy

I own a pair of the Orvis 'wet wading boots' like the ones in Dpenrod's post. They are very comfortable for walking, fit just like a tennis shoe. I like to wear them on my drift boat and for long hikes to the stream.

The low top style does have some disadvantages. My feet get tired when fishing rough cobble filled rivers, they just don't provide enough ankle support for stomping over rough loose rocks. So unless I know the stream bottom is mostly gravel I tend to wear my heavier high top wading boots.
    Last edited by kengore; 04-19-2009 at 02:18 PM.

I agree with kengore, the ankle support is important to me. I wear the old style korkers and love them. I have had no trouble at all with them and I am not the most stylish wader.
    To Miss Nancy - She hated fishing, but loved a fisherman.

+ Reply to Thread