+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trophy Lost

Default Trophy Lost

Well, after playing with a 24+ inch brown on the Little Red I left with thoughts of what could have been, should have been. I'm now dreaming about the fish at night. It's almost sick. How I wish I could have one more chance with that fish.

brhokla;
    Please finish the story!! What went wrong??

Look at it another way. The trick is to hook 'em. You just made a "quick release"....

If every time you hooked a fish, big or small, you knew you were going to land it, alot of what you fish for would be missing. There would be no suspence in the act and fishing itself would soon become boring. The brave few who go out on the blue ocean and drag nets never wonder if they will lose the fish they caught. For them it's work and they do it because they have to. We on the other hand, fish because we enjoy the act. The ability of the fish to outwit or out-fight us is part of the whole essence of the Recreational Activity/Sport/Hobby (RASH) we spend our time and dollars persuing. To hook a fish such as that would be wonderful in itself. True, landing it would have added to the day, but that's why they (and we) call it Fishing, not Catching.

Great fish and a great story. May you have many opportunities to let the fish try to outwit and out-fight you again.

------------------
    Clint

I feel closer to HIM when I'm fishing.
    Clint
    in far west Kentucky

brhokla - That's part of the game. I'd like to have that nightmare (-;

MN - Oh! I guess that's how so many people have '100 fish days'.

BB - Exactly.

Allan

[This message has been edited by tyeflies (edited 28 November 2005).]

You have just joined a club that is older than anyone that is alive. Been there done that many times. It will happen again if you keep fishing. RON

would you remember that fish so vividly,Had you got it to hand...I doubt it....and you have a good idea where he might be found next time.....perhaphs...Next time!!

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

Everyone wants to excel in this sport but at the same time we let traditionalists place restrictions on our tactics, methods, and ideas. I always assumed that fly fishing was a sport that allowed imagination, creation, adaptation, investigation, dedication, education, revelation? : Fox Statler, On Spinners (Not the dainty Dry Fly kind) "Spinner'd Minner Fly"

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Actually I thought I had him. He jumped out of the water at the end of Cow Shoals right were the cabins and docks are. Water gets a little deeper in this area and the riffle water runs right into where I hooked up at. Anyways. I had never fished this river before but had heard of massive browns running the area. I saw the fish a few times while I was hooked and the body was about as big round as my leg. I have know Idea how long it was but it was absolutely huge. The big brown dove to deep water and then just sat at the bottom. The rod tip bobbed up and down a few times. I think the fish was just sulking or something. I tried to lay the rod down to my right side to bring it out of the hole and it them made a very hard and I mean hard run. It pulled the fly right from my weak spot, the knot. I lost the fish due to my weak knot. I was using the last 5' of some Orvis 3x Super Strength. I mean it was well into the butt section and probably more like 0X at that time. I found out quilcky that the larger diameter line needs a really and I mean really good knot. Anyways, it comes with the territory. I'll get another one.

+ Reply to Thread