+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Scottie Bamboo Fly Rod Questions, Please.

Blog Entries

Default Scottie Bamboo Fly Rod Questions, Please.

A friend has a Scottie rod and it is obviously high quality, but we have no solid information about it. It is made in Aberdeen and the company is still working... The website is

http://www.scottierods.co.uk/bamboo-fly-rod.html

and there is a lot of interesting stuff there. But it does not address the value of rods not listed and likely no longer made.

The particular rod is about 10', 2-piece, has no weight markings of any kind and looks to be in perfect condition. In addition to the guide wraps the rod itself is wrapped every couple inches with a narrow band. It is dead straight and very fast for a bamboo. I am thinking it is a salmon rod and at least 8wt. But I do not know how bamboo is "sized".

There are red agate guides for a single stripper and the tip top and they look perfect.

The handle shape is "funky" with a basic cigar shape tapering to a large proud ring of cork at the front end. The reel seat and fittings look first rate.

Any insight would be appreciated, thanks!
    art

Default Where to get an answer

This is the site to go to for answers to questions such as this one. http://clarksclassicflyrodforum.yuku.com/directory

Post your question in the Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods section. The guys who frequent this site are very helpful.

" In addition to the guide wraps the rod itself is wrapped every couple inches with a narrow band." These are called "Intermediate wraps."
    Dan S
    "I still don't know why I fish or why other men fish, except that we like it and it makes us think and feel." Roderick Haig-Brown, A River Never Sleeps

Default J.S. Sharpe of Aberdeen

Hi Art,

I don't know a whole lot about Sharpes rods but will hopefully provide you and your friend with a little info on his rod.

The Scottie series of rods by Sharpe have been around for since (I think) the mid 1920's, early 30's. The rod in question would most certainly be an older one with the intermediate wraps and the agate tip top. I would think it would be varnished and not impregnated as Sharpes did not use the bakelite impregnation process until after WWII. I would think this rod is older than that?

They manufactured the Scottie in lengths of 14' down to 7'.

Your 10 footer was most probably designed for salmon fishing, as well as for heavy trout, if you can handle a rod of that weight all day? Do you know the weight of the rod? The grip seems to be of a "peckerhead" style, per your description. Yeah, peckerhead!

Bamboo is most commonly "line sized" by the butt ferrule measurement, usually in 64ths inch increments. It still takes some experimentation, usually, to determine the best line weight for a particular rod. Being this rod is a fast action one, I would think an 8 weight is about right. If you have other lines in 7 and 9 weights you might want to try them and find the one that really works the best with the rod.

As to value, I would think $200.00 might be a good guesstimate. 10' rods, especially of Scottish build are just not that desirable with bamboo fishermen today. Might be desirable to a steelheader or bigmouth bass angler.

Sorry to have rambled on so. Any markings on the rod?

Bob
    Last edited by bobbyg; 04-15-2009 at 10:57 AM.
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

+ Reply to Thread